Swisher Mower Hard to Pull Start

Old 05-07-08, 10:09 AM
Cool Swisher Mower Hard to Pull Start

I have a Swisher 44" mower that pulls behind a mower or 4 wheeler. It has a 10.5 Tecumseh on it and is very hard to pull start. The choke is hard to get closed on it and takes two people to start it. I would like to know if there is a quick fix or would it be better to change this to a B&S electric start and if so what HP would be a direct fit or would the bolt patter be different?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-08, 04:07 PM
Can you post the model and spec numbers off this engine ?

A Briggs would bolt right in place of the Junkcumseh as long as the crankshaft sizes were the same. But with electric start you would have to deal with a wire harness/switch/solenoid and mounting a battery.

Are you sure the idler arm it fully disengaging the blade belt ?

Old 05-08-08, 11:12 AM
Oldtimer54

I will get the numbers off it tonight. It will start if you can get the choke set. I would like to find a riding mower with a good engine and put everything on it. That way I would have all the wiring needed and a gas tank that I may be able to use.

Thanks!

Old 05-08-08, 05:00 PM
Hard to start from compression resistance I would say adjust the valves. Some Tecumseh engines have had a problem with too much compression caused by a bad mechanical compression release on the camshaft. Not knowing what engine, you have this may not apply.

The choke issue may be nothing more than a corroded or kinked cable.