Help! Mower down!

Old 05-08-08, 11:10 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help! Mower down!

Hello DIY.com,

My father's mower is down! Have the tools to do the job, just need guidance - mower is a Craftsman Eager-1, Model number 944.367291 front-wheel self-propelled 3-in-1, 6.5 hp.
Last season, Pop was complaining the engine was "popping" while it was running (backfire?) - now, unfortunately, he is in hospital, and upon going over to cut his lawn, found that, after properly priming, engine roars to life, then dies immediately. Checked/cleaned sparkplug (what is the correct gap?), changed oil, air filter, checked/sharpened blade, checked fuel tank/line - all these seem okay. Did find a rubber hose which ran from engine to carb - was cracked, but I replaced it - still does the same thing - roars to life, then stalls right away.
I'm thinking carburetor cleaning required? What is the sparkplug gap on this model? My father and I would appreciate the help...thanks!

Old 05-08-08, 03:17 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
That model number doesn't bring up anything. What are the model, type and code numbers from the engine schroud. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-09-08, 12:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Remove the bolt that holds the bowl onto the carburetor. There will be some tiny holes in it, 2 oppose each other near the head, and one tiny one is in an un-threaded section near the end of the bolt, and one runs through the center. Clean these out well and that may be all that is needed. If you see any gunk in the carb, clean it out as well. The spark plug gap is .030".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: