Homelite chainsaw gas line insertion

Old 05-08-08, 04:14 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Homelite chainsaw gas line insertion

I rescued a Homelite 955VI (or VI955) chainsaw from the city's anual scrap metal pickup. I encountered two problems. first, here is a fix that I am rather proud of: The recoil starter was frozen by corrosion. I cleaned it up only to find that the recoil spring was broken. I fixed it by heating the matching broken ends and bending them back so they would hook together when the rope was pulled.

Second, the fuel line was melted. I mean it had turned to goo. The repair shop said old lines were not made with gasahol in mind. I oredered a new one. The part of the new line that fits into the gastank hole is made to seal it when inserted. It has a grommet built in to the end that requires compression of a 1/2 inch diameter to fit through a 5/16 inch hole. Is there a home made way of doing this? When I Googled "grommet insertion tools" I could only find types that required straight access from both sides of the hole. I don't have that access, since I have to go through the gas tank filler hole to get at the inside of the tank.

Old 05-09-08, 12:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
This "grommet" goes on the end of the line on the inside of the tank? If so, push the line all the way through the tank until it comes out the opening for the gas cap, put the "grommet" on and pull it through. I'm not sure what grommet you're referring to, but I don't have a manual for that saw either.

Old 05-10-08, 11:53 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheese
This "grommet" goes on the end of the line on the inside of the tank? If so, push the line all the way through the tank until it comes out the opening for the gas cap, put the "grommet" on and pull it through. I'm not sure what grommet you're referring to, but I don't have a manual for that saw either.
Thank you very much for your reply. I'm sorry, I didn't desribe the part very well. What I am refering to as a "grommet, is actually a fat end on the fuel line. The end that goes into the tank barely fits through the entry hole. Once in the tank it can be fished out the filler opening and the filter attached. The other end tapers out from 5/16 inch to a half inch with a groove cut into the 1/2 inch circumference. Once seated, that groove should clasp the fuel tank entry hole and seal the tank around the hose. It is the grooved fat end of the hose that I was refering to as a grommet. It does act as a grommet but is built into the hose.

Thank you again for reading my post and taking the time to reply.

Bless you, too

Old 05-11-08, 12:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hmmm...is there any feasable way to insert the other end of the fuel line through the hole from inside the tank? You could feed a piece of fish line through the hole from outside in, and run it out the filler neck, then tie it to the end of the fuel line so that you can pull the fish line and draw the fuel line out the hole? Then pull on it. The taper will allow the line to come out until the tank pops in the groove, where it will stop and seal the connection.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: