Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S 16.5 spewing gas through muffler

MI

05-09-08, 06:21 AM   #1  
B&S 16.5 spewing gas through muffler

I did a search through the forum and see that this is a common problem. This B&S iindustrial Plus engine is a 16.5 hp Industial Plus engine and the gas is leaking right though the carb into muffler and dripping on floor. It's about 6-7 year old and has never done this.

The obvious answer is to clean up and rebuild the carb. I got a kit and with quick shipping have $40.00 in it. I carefully replaced all parts in kit and cleaned up parts blowing out ports with air. I put it back together and it does the same thing>

Float is plastic and does not seem to leak. needle valve replaced and parts carefully replaced. Can anybody help me diagnose this?

bs5

Sponsored Links

FL

05-09-08, 06:04 PM   #2  
Well bs5,

If you post the model and type numbers off this engine we can see exactly which carb you are having problems with.....

MI

05-09-08, 07:45 PM   #3  
"If you post the model and type numbers off this engine we can see exactly which carb you are having problems with..."
=============

Certainly

Engine B & S Industrial Plus opposed twin cylinder engine model # 42A787, type #2238 E1, code 0008035A. Info on engine taken from plate on side/top of engine.

Carburetor stamped with #692812 and beneath that the number 27-531 and then beneath that 0126.

Carb overhaul kit used # 693503

Thanks for looking this over.

bs5

FL

05-10-08, 05:39 AM   #4  
OK bs5,

The float regulates fuel supply by opening/closing the float needle valve. When you rebuilt this carb did you check the fuel tank for trash flush the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter ?

Look the float over closely, Shake it between your thumb and finger. If fuel is inside you should feel it, Look at the mount and slot area where the needle valve is inserted for any defects.

Also, Hold the top of the carb upside down (float and needle valve in place) the bottom of the float (while upside down) should be parallel to the gasket mating surface.

I feel your problem is in this area and hopefully something above will pinpoint the problem, The only other possible problem could be a worn/bad float needle valve seat which is shown non-replaceable on this carb....

Good Luck

MI

05-10-08, 11:33 AM   #5  
Hello 31yTech,

Tank and fuel lines are clean. I will have to replace fuel filter. I have carefully examined the float for nicks or defects that may help bind it up. There were none. Same for needle valve and seat looks OK as does the slot for the newly replaced needle valve. The operation of the float in my untrained eyes seems fine as the needle valve swings and jiggles freely and also appears as fuel enters and raises levels within carburetor.

The only thing is perhaps the float is binding during frequent installation as the carburetor halves are screwed back together I can get a new float part #693512 and it gets sent to my house for $20.00. It still seems to me the current one is OK. I also checked the upperbody of carb upside down and note the float rests parallel to gasket area. What do you think?

Thanks for the help.

bs5

MO

05-10-08, 12:21 PM   #6  
Did you, as 31 mentioned, check the float to see if it has a hole in it and is collecting fuel and thusly sinking, shake it to hear the slosh or set it in a cup of water to see if it sinks. Have a good one. Geo

MI

05-10-08, 06:10 PM   #7  
Hi Geo,

I thoroughly inspected the float for leaks, holes, cracks, gas inside by shaking between two fingers as suggested and found no evidence of any of the above. So far as I can see it's fine but as 31 said it is either the float or the needle valve and I just replaced and cleaned this carb replacing everything but the float.

I'm thinking of just buying a new float which has to be ordered online for $20.00 just in case this one has a spot sticking. The thing is so flimsy when taken apart perhaps it is getting jammed up when together.

I won;t be able to give up on this project. That;s just not an option. Thanks for checking in.

bs5

MI

05-15-08, 04:20 AM   #8  
Even though I still can't find any problem with the old carb float I went ahead and replaced it. That did the trick and the carb immediately stopped flooding everything with gas. It still seems the engine is runninig a bit irregular but I have not changed the filter yet. it just does not seem to idle steady, just races a bit and seems iregular. Thanks for the help

bs5

Posted By: 31YTech OK bs5,

The float regulates fuel supply by opening/closing the float needle valve. When you rebuilt this carb did you check the fuel tank for trash flush the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter ?

Look the float over closely, Shake it between your thumb and finger. If fuel is inside you should feel it, Look at the mount and slot area where the needle valve is inserted for any defects.

Also, Hold the top of the carb upside down (float and needle valve in place) the bottom of the float (while upside down) should be parallel to the gasket mating surface.

I feel your problem is in this area and hopefully something above will pinpoint the problem, The only other possible problem could be a worn/bad float needle valve seat which is shown non-replaceable on this carb....

Good Luck

NJ

05-20-08, 12:25 PM   #9  
Governor Spring maybe?

Posted By: bullshooter5 Even though I still can't find any problem with the old carb float I went ahead and replaced it. That did the trick and the carb immediately stopped flooding everything with gas. It still seems the engine is runninig a bit irregular but I have not changed the filter yet. it just does not seem to idle steady, just races a bit and seems iregular. Thanks for the help

bs5
Hello, I read your post about the engine surging and I can tell you that i had the same problem. I was told to replace the governor spring, even though the original looked fine, and that fixed my problem. Then about 3 months later it started again. I bought a rebuild kit for the carb, but before i did that, I wanted to do the last cut of the season before winter. It was surging so bad I couldn't take it so I went to the gas station and bought some STP carb cleaner. The kind you put into the gas tank. i've NEVER had that stuff work or fix anything but I gave it a try. I put it in the tank and ran the mower for about 5-10 minutes and I'll be darned if that didn't fix the problem. It ran very smooth after that. Good luck!

MI

05-20-08, 06:49 PM   #10  
Thanks Jmonica,

I just replaced the plugs and the engine cleared itself out and is running fine now. Thank you for checking in.

bs5

Search this Thread