Deere LA120 wont start (sometimes)

Old 05-09-08, 09:47 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deere LA120 wont start (sometimes)

I have 2007 John Deere LA120 that starts fine most of the time but occasionally doesnt turn over. At first I thought the battery was bad but after a check with my multi-meter it reads 12.58 volts, witch tells me its not the battery. Its very annoying, if I have to stop it for some reason in the middle of the lawn it wont start again for like a half hour or so. This model is equipped with the safety switch in the seat so you cant leave it running to move something in the way or what ever.
Dose anyone know or has experienced this same issue? Is it the ignition switch, the seat switch thing, or the starter maybe? It has 46 hrs on it, so is still kinda new. Also dose anyone know if i can bypass that seat safety switch, and how I go about doing that?

Old 05-09-08, 11:46 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Don't go disabling any safety features when the mower is still under warranty. Take it to a Deere dealer for a likely free repair.

Old 05-09-08, 05:58 PM
I agree with puey ^^^^^^ I will not cover any electrical issues under warranty if any part of the system has been tampered with. I have even been told by a couple OEM's to repair any safety features that have been tampered with before returning the unit back to the customer.

It's a liability issue for both us as dealers and the OEM's.....

Old 05-09-08, 06:26 PM
S
Ok, ok, I wont mess with the seat switch (for now). Dose anyone have a clue as to why it will not start intermittently? If its a simmple fix I'd rather do it my self, than to have to load it on a trailer (that I dont have yet) and bring it all the way to the dealer.

Old 05-09-08, 07:12 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Smile

i have an old simplicity hydrostatic drive that does the same thing. just started this year, but haven't had time to diagnose it yet. no seat safety switch so i can leave it running. after cooling, it will start. generally i think it(mine and yours) has a bad wire that heats up and becomes disconnected(inside the insulation). after cooling, the plastic insulation draws the wires back together to initiate a start mode. on the starter side. have seen this before. not sure if that is it, but a place to start. when it won't start. run jumper to starter and see if that works. that said, i'm with the others. under warrantee;free fix.?

Old 05-10-08, 06:21 AM
S
Thanx mikeTN, i think your right about it being a lose wire somewhere. Part of the reason I was asking about bypassing the seat safety switch was to be able to jumper the starter, cant do that and sit in the seat at the same time. I would like to be able to bypass and check things out while trying to start it and then I would reconnect the safety switch, I swear I would, honest. I'm thinking it's a minor/simple fix (I hope) unless someone here tells me otherwise.

Old 05-10-08, 11:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I guess you're unaware that you can put the park brake on and then leave the mower without it shutting off? You can also start it without being on the seat with the park brake on.

Old 05-11-08, 06:30 AM
S
I was not aware of that feature, must of missed that in the manual, that helps a lot if it works.
Thanx Cheese

Old 05-11-08, 09:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
That will make it a lot less aggravating to go pick up a big limb or move the water hose.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: