Toro Mower Blade Won't Turn

Old 05-09-08, 10:19 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toro Mower Blade Won't Turn

I have a Toro mower with a Tecumseh motor. When I was doing my Spring tune-up, I noticed the blade would barely turn. So I kept pulling off parts until I found the problem and it seems the piston is not sliding in the cylinder. I pulled the piston out, there were a few scrap marks on the piston side and very little scoring in the cylinder. Rings looked good.

Is this repairable or is this time to buy a new mower? Can I hone out the cylinder until the piston slides freely?

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-09-08, 11:36 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Reel mower, push mower, riding mower, lawn tractor, garden tractor? Post back with the mower type and the model and serial number off the chassis as well as the Tecumseh model and spec numbers.

Old 05-09-08, 12:10 PM
E
Sorry, I should have included this. The mower is a model # 20016, Recycler Mower, 22" deck, Tecumseh motor # 2TPXS, spec.# 3615418, model code # LEV 120.

Old 05-09-08, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Maybe this is an obvious question, but when you tore down the engine, was there any oil in the crankcase? Or were the cooling fins totally packed with debris? Sounds like it either ran low on oil or overheated, or both.

Old 05-09-08, 02:40 PM
E
The crackcase did have oil in it, but I did notice specs of metal in the oil. Cooling fins were clean, but the mower could have overheated and/or been low on oil. Is it possible it got hot and the cylinder warped, which is why the piston is not moving freely?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: