engine dies when warm won't restart immediately

Old 05-10-08, 11:31 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
engine dies when warm won't restart immediately

I have a Green Machine by John Deere 4600bp backpack blower that is getting old but works well. The problem is
it starts and runs great for about 10 minutes and then it
dies as if I hit a kill switch. It won't restart unless I let it sit for at least 15 minutes, then it fires right up and runs great again til it quits. I'm assuming this is heat related, any ideas?

Also I can't find any info on this model despite John Deeres great website, it's as if the model never existed. I think at some point homelite picked this model up but their site is down.

Old 05-10-08, 12:29 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
The ignition module could be failing, the next time it quits immediately check for spark, you can remove the sparkplug and ground it against the block and crank it over to check it or to save a bunch of time when it dies, pull the plug wire off stick a screwdriver in it hang on to the metal part of the screwdriver and give it a crank, if you get a jolt, you have spark and the problem is somewhere else, if not the ignition module is bad. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-10-08, 12:50 PM
S
lifetime ignition warranty

and that's where the second part of the question comes in. As I mentioned this a John Deere labelled machine with a sticker on it that says lifetime ignition warranty yet they have no listing of this model on their site. I'm going to take
it apart and check it out, what heat related effect do you think I'd find in the ignition system? I assume I can check for replacement parts for comparable engines once its dissambled
but it's been a while since I took apart a small engine, am I looking at points? coil? condensor? It's a great little machine, I rebuilt the carb and put a new air cleaner on it and it runs strong after 10 years, it'd be a shame to get rid of it.

Old 05-10-08, 02:23 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Somewhere on the engine there should be some numbers to identify it usually on the shroud, post whatever you find. It sound like you have a quality product. Echo is the only one I know with a lifetime ignition warranty. The gurus on this site will know what it is, however, they don't seem to be awake at this time of day. Have a good one. Geo
Tanaka makes a 4600 blower.

Last edited by geogrubb; 05-10-08 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-11-08, 07:03 AM
S
Homelite

Homelite site is back up, had to dig deep but found it
listed as '4600BP UT-26110', I copy/pasted a word doc
of the exploded view parts catalog so now I know what
goes where. If nothing is obviously wrong I guess I'll start with the coil. Thanks

Old 05-11-08, 07:09 AM
S
maybe not

just clicked on the 'order' button next to the little coil in the parts manual, $123.64!!!!!! Guess I'll be pursuing that lifetime ignition warranty afterall!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: