NewB Needs input on this tractor ASAP =) Is it worth it?

Reply

  #1  
Old 05-11-08, 08:35 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12
NewB Needs input on this tractor ASAP =) Is it worth it?

It's a 2005 Craftsman LT1000 model 917.272082 Riding Lawnmower with a 17 HP Kohler engine. Asking price is $400 and also includes a grass catcher.

I'm building a new house on 3.5 acres of land. We will only be mowing an acre or less. I understand that this mower is more of a starting mower, but since we are building a house, we're limited on funds for buying a new one at the moment.

Anyhow, we've been reading a lot of bad things about the LT1000 mower on this forum and it raised concern. We're wanting to know if anyone has any comments on weather or not we should purchase or hold off. We're meeting the guy in about 2 hours.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-11-08, 09:07 AM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 977
For $400 w/ grass catcher--BUY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
  #3  
Old 05-11-08, 09:12 AM
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 16,818
No doubt, that's a great deal if the mower seems to be in decent shape. It should be if it's only 2-3 years old.

I don't know what bad things you've been reading about the LT1000. It's probably one of the best mowers you can buy new for the money it costs. Craftsman is the largest selling name in mowers, so that fact alone (sheer numbers) means you'll see more questions on this forum about repairig them.
 
  #4  
Old 05-11-08, 10:00 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
No doubt, that's a great deal if the mower seems to be in decent shape. It should be if it's only 2-3 years old.

I don't know what bad things you've been reading about the LT1000. It's probably one of the best mowers you can buy new for the money it costs. Craftsman is the largest selling name in mowers, so that fact alone (sheer numbers) means you'll see more questions on this forum about repairig them.
I've never thought about that, but it does make sense. My cousin is the one selling it although I haven't seen it in person which is why it's so cheap. He just built a huge house so he now needs one of those zero turn mowers.

The only problem he said he is having is it has trouble starting sometimes which is how I found this forum. He thinks it's the battery and said that he would replace it for free. I've been reading a lot on different forums that people are having problems with the starter/solenoid
 
  #5  
Old 05-11-08, 10:39 AM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 977
Keep in mind--the grass catcher on a new Craftsman costs
approx. $ 300 alone.............
 
  #6  
Old 05-11-08, 11:39 AM
Member
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Rick Sample View Post

The only problem he said he is having is it has trouble starting sometimes which is how I found this forum. He thinks it's the battery and said that he would replace it for free. I've been reading a lot on different forums that people are having problems with the starter/solenoid
A stock solenoid costs 25 bucks at most tractor supply centers and takes a half hour or less to replace. Buy the tractor, don't buy parts from Sears.com that can be had elsewhere for half the cost.
 
  #7  
Old 05-11-08, 04:19 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12
Well guys, I just purchased it! We got the guy down to $300. It only has a few scratches from normal wear and tear. Other than that it looks great!
 
  #8  
Old 05-11-08, 04:39 PM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 20,977
Glad ya got a great deal....just remember looks ain't everything..my first wife for example.. lol

First thing, unless he had maintenance receipts, change the oil and filters, sharpen the blades, etc. Then you have a starting point for your own maint schedule. Did you get the manual?
 
  #9  
Old 05-12-08, 12:32 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12
lol We're gonna get started on that this weekend. It does have a starting problem. We're thinking it's the solenoid or something. We're gonna get that taken care of, buff out the small scratches, wax it, etc. Then we'll get the oil/filter changed and everything else before we really start to use it.

Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Glad ya got a great deal....just remember looks ain't everything..my first wife for example.. lol

First thing, unless he had maintenance receipts, change the oil and filters, sharpen the blades, etc. Then you have a starting point for your own maint schedule. Did you get the manual?
 
  #10  
Old 05-13-08, 12:40 AM
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 16,818
Describe the starting problem and we can help you solve it. Congrats on a good deal!
 
  #11  
Old 05-13-08, 01:11 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Describe the starting problem and we can help you solve it. Congrats on a good deal!
The owner thought it was the battery. But we got home, checked it out, tested it, and the battery seems pretty good. It usually takes 2-4 turns with the key to get it to start.
 
  #12  
Old 05-14-08, 12:07 AM
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 16,818
What does it do during those turns of the key when it does not start? Turn slowly? If so, adjust the valves and you'll be set.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes