re alligning the idle on a 20hp yard machine

Old 05-11-08, 01:16 PM
Exclamation re alligning the idle on a 20hp yard machine

I have a 20 hp Yard machine rider with a 46 inch deck. it has hydrostactic drive and the engine is a ohv V-twin. the model #for the rider is 13AU694H062 and the Serial # is 1B179C20148 The engine is B&S model # 407777 Type is 0124-B1 and The code is 950105YC. I just got this rider from my father in law cause he already bought two new riders and he basically just gave it to me. Any way The engine was leaking oil at the oil pan and so I replaced the gasket and it has stopped leaking however there is a govenor control bracket that I had to remove in order to take the oil pan off. I am having problems setting the govener in the right place so that the engine will idle properly at the right rpms. right now it is idling to high and is using about a half tank of gas in 30 to 45 min. I cant seem to get it idling any lower. Can any body direct me to a web sight that deals with govener and idle issues on this model or can u tell me how to fix it? I have looked at mtd's websight and got all kind of pictures and diagrams regarding the mower and also went to B&S websight and got the diagrams parts list on the engine. but still no luck figuring this out. Do I need to just take it to some one?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-08, 03:33 PM
Below is the static adjustment for the governor;

With the governor lever nut loose ,Push governor lever counter-clockwise as far as it will go (wide open throttle) and hold this position. Rotate governor shaft counter-clockwise as far as it will go, Torque nut to 100 in. lbs......

Good Luck

Old 05-11-08, 06:18 PM
ill try it

thanks for the imput 31ytech. The first time I adjusted it was govener lever counter-clockwise( closed throttle)and govener shaft clockwise all the way on both,but the throttle plate where the idle screw wont close all the way ,it opens up a little bit even with the idle screw all the way out. when it starts and warms up it raises the idle. any way I tryed it your way both counter clock wise and it reves the engine so high that i have to turn it off because it sounds like a jet engine. maybe i dont understand what is happening with the lever and all the plates because everthing is connected with springs. thanks if you come up with something else let me know iwish I had a picture or something to show me the way it is supposed to be.

Old 05-11-08, 10:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I almost wonder if the governor came apart inside. If the lever wasn't close enough to the governor when you cranked it up after reassembling it, it would have come right apart inside the engine. You may have to open it back up.

Old 05-11-08, 10:42 PM
Chesse.,, I am more leaning to the gear driven govener on this type of engine and when the OP did remove the crankcase and somehow got the govner gear not meshed with the timming gears and also the other cuprit is the lever arm not sitting on the govener weights.

{ i did see that few time with generators like this }

Merci, Marc

Old 05-12-08, 07:41 AM
govener

the govener on this model engine can only move left or right and it stops in both directons i don think there is something wrong with it but you tell me. i think i will take the oil pan off to see what exactly it has inside of it but i dont think taking it apart is going to do much good, but i will do it any way. I will let you know something today. i am also wondering if it has to do with maybe there is a spring missing. I count 2 maybe there is supposed to be 3 or one is in the wrong place.
The 2 that are on it one goes to the throttle and the other to the plate both going basicaly the same direction. Let me Know I think I am going to need to buy a manual for this engine but hopefully not.

Old 05-13-08, 05:12 PM
finished

well a little help goes a long way for a simple problem. thanks to everybody on here i was able to fix my mower in about 30 seconds and it runs like new. all it was was that I was adjusting the govenor right but I did not have it wide open throttle like the diagram that was sent to me early this morning. thanks for every bodys help!! I was able to save myself about $200.00.

Old 05-13-08, 11:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's good news. I assumed you had it wide open throttle (31YTech mentioned it in his governor adjustment procedure). At least you didn't have to go into the engine again!!