Craftsman model 917272481 lawn tractor

Old 05-12-08, 02:40 PM
Cool Craftsman model 917272481 lawn tractor

I bought this tractor missing its hydrostatic drive. I've since purchased a new drive unit and multiple missing parts for it. This model has the kohler engine and I have read many good things about it. Can someone help me with exploded diagrams, (better than the owners manual) that could show me where the clutch return spring hooks up. Some other items also like where the forward torque attachments actually bolt up. Perhaps some adjustment tips/specs? There is no repair place on the island I live on. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Rod Garrison; 05-12-08 at 02:40 PM. Reason: mis-spelled word
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-08, 03:18 PM
Go to the link below and enter your model number then scroll down to the components area. Have a good one. Geo
www3.sears.com

Old 05-13-08, 12:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The brackets should be fairly easy to identify their position just by holding them in place and lining up the holes. The clutch return spring goes from the clutch arm all the way to the front of the frame. There is a small slotted hole just in front of the muffler at the right front corner of the mower. That is where the hook on the end of the spring attatches. It can be hard to put in place. I use a piece of pull rope tied in a loop to feed through the hole where it connects to the hook on the spring. Then pull the rope until the spring comes through the hole and hooks on.

Old 05-16-08, 08:39 AM
Thanks Cheese!

You were absolutely correct in your statements. I've got all of that hooked up and I'm down to one last item before firing it up.
The bypass actuator rod has a hole through it that looks like it should have a spring through it. The old transaxle did not have a place on the housing for a spring to hook to. This is the brass colored rod that sticks out below the rotor puck. There is no spring in any of the drawings? I'm assuming that this would be where I hook up the control bypass rod?
Once again I call upon your expertise for help on this.

Last edited by Rod Garrison; 05-16-08 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Add item
Old 05-17-08, 01:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the hole you're talking about is actually where a clip-pin is connected to the rod to hold it in bypass mode. When you pull the rod out to bypass the tranny, does this hole appear from the backside of the mower? If so, that's it.

Old 05-19-08, 09:15 AM
Smile

Thanks to all that replied. As of last Friday, My Frankenmower, (actually its looks very good but was a basket case) came to life and performed like a champ. Have a great day!

Old 05-19-08, 11:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it, and thanks for the update!