Tecumseh 3.8HP won't start

Old 05-12-08, 06:57 PM
Tecumseh 3.8HP won't start

Hi, I got a second hand lawnmower yesterday. Before I picked it up, the previous owner showed me it is running when pulled 1 to 2 times only. Perhaps because the engine was warm that time and he didn't tell me?

This morning I can't make it work. It won't start even If I tried for more than 10 times pulling. The owner said its a Tecumseh 2 stroke 3.8HP.

What do I need to do to make it start? I've checked the spark plug and it seems okay, the fuel is there. I don't know how to clean carburetor.

Thanks again.

p.s. I called the repair shop man and he said it is a 4 stroke and NOT 2 stroke because it is 3.8 HP? Is this right?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-08, 12:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a 4 stroke to me. Does it have an oil dipstick? If so, it's 4-stroke. Did you push the primer bulb firmly several times?

Old 05-13-08, 03:28 PM
there is a sticker...

that says its a 2-stroke, but I'm not sure really, and it has no dipstick or primer. The previous owner instructed me to mix 2-stroke engine with petrol.

I've tested the sparkplug and I got a spark when it touched metal. I don't know how to fix carburetor, so anything else I should check? The local repairman charged $25 for diagnosis only...

Old 05-13-08, 06:59 PM
Please post the engine model numbers usually found on the engine shroud above the spark plug. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-13-08, 11:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well I guess it is a 2 stroke then. Try adding a little gas intot he spark plug hole and then try to start it. If it starts and runs for a moment, then you have carburetor problems. Does it have a choke, and are you choking it?