Yard-Man Yard Bug is stuck in reverse

Old 05-13-08, 10:51 AM
Yard-Man Yard Bug is stuck in reverse

I have a Yard-Man Yard bug riding mower that I recently purchased. It has the internal bagging system and is Model 13-325-401 . The serial number is 6F070I10004 .

When I got it, it would not start and appears to have had light use. I cleaned the carburetor, replaced the plug, gas lines, and filter while I was at it after reading a posting in these forums. It now runs strong. Thank you!!

The problem is I cannot get it out of reverse. The cable seems to be pulling on the part that goes into the transmission, but that is where it stops. Even when I get the lever to neutral, it will not disengage the transmission. At that it feels as if it is being forced.

Thank you so much in advance for any help I can receive on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-08, 12:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
See if you can disconnect the cable and all that junk from the tranny and move the shifter by hand, or with a pair of pliers. It may be rusted in place, or maybe something related to the trouble-prone cable system is jamming.

Old 05-14-08, 05:47 AM
RE: Yard-Man Yard Bug is stuck in reverse

Thank You.. I will give this a try and get back with you. How hard is it to disconnect that cable and is there a trick to it?

God Bless..
Lorretta

Originally Posted by cheese View Post
See if you can disconnect the cable and all that junk from the tranny and move the shifter by hand, or with a pair of pliers. It may be rusted in place, or maybe something related to the trouble-prone cable system is jamming.

Old 05-14-08, 07:57 PM
Not there yet..

The owners manual says...

Do not force the shift lever. If it does not shift,

release the brake pedal slightly to line up the

shifting collar in the transmission, then try to move

the shift lever.

I have done what you said and tried this, but thought maybe this would help if you had the above.

I will wait to hear from you before I proceed.

Thanks
Lorretta

Originally Posted by cheese View Post

Old 05-14-08, 11:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's stuck, then it's either going to have to get unstuck, or come apart and get fixed. If you can't make it shift out of reverse, even with the pulley turning, then you're going to have to persuade it, possibly with penetrating oil and a bit more force. Don't use the cable to try to shift it until you get it worked free or you'll wind up breaking the cable.

Old 07-04-08, 04:22 PM
Yard man bug

HI
I M LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO BUY A Shift Lever CABLE FOR MY YARD BUG. CAN ANY ONE HELP.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME
TOM

Old 07-05-08, 05:40 AM
Below is a link to a service manual and the Yard Bug is addressed in this manual.:

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/2000...ice_Manual.pdf

Old 07-05-08, 05:44 AM
Originally Posted by tom moore View Post
HI
I M LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO BUY A Shift Lever CABLE FOR MY YARD BUG. CAN ANY ONE HELP.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME
TOM
With the model number you should find what you need at:

http://www.ordertree.com/