Stihl leaf blower oil/gas ratio wrong

Old 05-13-08, 11:31 AM
Stihl leaf blower oil/gas ratio wrong

I mixed the wrong oil/gas ratio for my Stihl BG 55 leaf blower. It was fine til I did this. It runs like a snail now & ran it about 4xs like this. I finally mixed the right ratio 50 to 1 & have run it about 2xs now...it's still barely blowing & now sputtering.... it just quit on me & I haven't tried to re-start the thing.
what can i do to 'fix' my blower? HELP!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-08, 03:22 PM
Check your spark plug to see if it has fouled out,also take your spark arrester screen out of your muffler and clean it,if need be.Go to the auto parts and pick up a can of sea foam and put a ounce in your gas tank,and you will be good to go.

Jerry

Old 05-15-08, 08:33 PM
Hi Jerry, I know I can do the spark plug w/ no problems. I don't know about the muffler area.....I need a book to view to get in this area. What is sea foam?

Old 05-19-08, 06:07 PM
I took my Stihl blower apart today. I found the muffler. It was full of goo. I cleaned it w/ mineral spirits & am letting it air dry. The rep. from Stihl told me to do that. I had a very hard time getting the spark plug off! I finally found the right tool from another sm. engine I have. I got it off & have to buy another. I am cleaning the groves out since it was also black & full of goo.
I hope to have it back together tom. & running. I will look up sea foam on line.
This took me about 1 1/2 hrs. only because of the star shaped screws they have in there & had to find the right tool to get those out! I spent more time looking for the right tools! ARG!!

Old 05-20-08, 08:08 AM
If it is really caked on there, mineral spirits won't touch it. Go to Home Depot and buy some ZEP "Industrial Purple". Let the arrestor screen sit in a small undiluted quantity of that for 30 mins or so. That stuff is absolutely the best degreaser I've ever seen. Just don't let it touch any aluminium parts (or you).

- Joe

Old 08-13-08, 03:01 PM
I already had the mineral spirits in the garage & used that. It works great & am so surprised I was able to do it. He walked me thru it & it's pretty interesting.
Anyway, it's working great & every now & then might have a little hesitation, but for now it is working!