Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro quits. Restars sometimes - or not

VA

05-13-08, 12:53 PM   #1  
Toro quits. Restars sometimes - or not

Walking, selfpropelled Toro 6.5 hp. Runs about 10 minutes and quits. Will restart sometimes, run a few minutes asnd quit again. Not to restart. Had it serviced - "a gummy carburator was the diagnosis - but the same condition persists. Could it be dirt in the fuel line? There doesn't seem to be a fuel filter in line that I recognize or mentioned in the manual.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-14-08, 12:11 AM   #2  
Try loosening the gas cap when it dies and see if it solves the problem. If not, check for spark when it won't start and post with results.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

05-15-08, 07:01 AM   #3  
Toro quitting

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday it started right up and again ran for 20 minutes, quit and wouldn't restart. The gas cap was inspected and I couldn't find anything wrong with the gasket, the metal "bell" or any air holes that might be blocked. Couldn't check the spark (that takes two, I think). It started up this morning without a problem. Could it be over heating? It seems to want to run after a nights rest.

CAL

05-16-08, 07:31 AM   #4  
I think I have the same or similar mower.

Mine had the problem you describe, a fresh tank of fuel and some Sea Foam (fuel additive) solved the problem.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-17-08, 01:42 AM   #5  
I doubt it's overheating, but the coil could be failing. The spark test would help pin that down.

God bless!

WI

05-17-08, 10:25 AM   #6  
It sure sounds like a coil starting to fail. Check for spark immediately when it quits.

VA

05-17-08, 03:57 PM   #7  
Thanks all

I have put seafoam in the fresh gas just in case it was gumming up and it is probably a good idea top keep that treatment in place. I will try to check the spark and coil problem this week.

Appreciate the input from you all. Thr reel push mower from my grandfather's day may be environmentally great but at age 72 I really like the self propelled walk behind model better.

VA

05-30-08, 10:57 AM   #8  
Toro Problem Solved

Seafoam in the gas and a new coil - all is well and I appreciate you all for pointing me and the dealer/service shop in the right direction.

Dave :

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-30-08, 10:19 PM   #9  
Glad to help...

The shop had to use our input here on the forum to figure out the problem???

God bless!

MN

05-31-08, 03:53 PM   #10  
How much seafoam should I add to my gas tank on push mower. I have toro 6.5 hp and have similar problem. I need to keep primer bulb pressed to keep it running. Had old gas in it but filled with new gas and it ran entire mowing time but sounded weak. Now it won't stay running.

jimco

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-31-08, 08:09 PM   #11  
Seafoam doesn't really fix anything, it's just an additive. To properly fix your problem, you just need to drop the bowl on the carburetor and clean it, the bowl screw, and the carb.

God bless!

Search this Thread