Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro-22" recycler mower

VA

05-14-08, 11:20 AM   #1  
Toro-22" recycler mower

Having slipping problems in the self-propel positionwhen on an incline or hill while mowing. The rear right wheel will start spinning on an incline position. I did not have this problem before. Please advise me a remedy for this problem. Thank you for your input.
James Hodges

Sponsored Links

CA

05-14-08, 12:27 PM   #2  
You may want to check the drive and see if both rear wheels are pulling. It may be that the drive key on the left wheel is stuck down and not engaging the drive gear or the gears may not be worn down, it sounds like perhaps only one wheel is driving your mower.

VA

05-15-08, 06:44 AM   #3  
Posted By: AAWrench You may want to check the drive and see if both rear wheels are pulling. It may be that the drive key on the left wheel is stuck down and not engaging the drive gear or the gears may not be worn down, it sounds like perhaps only one wheel is driving your mower.
Thank you for the input...my question about this mower...do both rear wheels suppose to drive this mower? I thought only the right rear wheel drove this mower. Please reply because this might be my problem. Also, the owners manual does not give any info on this matter. Thanks again!

MO

05-15-08, 09:16 AM   #4  
Both wheels should be driving the mower. Have a good one. Geo

CA

05-15-08, 01:51 PM   #5  
Posted By: hareharehare Thank you for the input...my question about this mower...do both rear wheels suppose to drive this mower? I thought only the right rear wheel drove this mower. Please reply because this might be my problem. Also, the owners manual does not give any info on this matter. Thanks again!
Yes, as Geo said, both rear wheels are supposed to drive the mower. They have a ratchet type system that allows the drive gear to rotate on the shaft freely so that you can push the mower, but it locks to the gear in one direction so it will drive when the self propel is engaged. To do this there is a little spring and key in the shaft under the pinion gear. You can look at a parts breakdown at Toro's website and you might get a better understanding of how it works.

VA

05-16-08, 10:06 AM   #6  
Posted By: AAWrench You may want to check the drive and see if both rear wheels are pulling. It may be that the drive key on the left wheel is stuck down and not engaging the drive gear or the gears may not be worn down, it sounds like perhaps only one wheel is driving your mower.
Removed both wheels...cleaned and greased the drive gears...checked to make sure both wheels were in engaged and pulling...the gears were making contact. Tested the mower on a hill or incline and the right wheel lost traction again... just like before. The mower does fine on a level lot but on incline definitely not. Checked the gears on both wheels to see any wear and none was shown. Don't know what to do except buy something else. Any advice? Thanks!

CA

05-16-08, 07:05 PM   #7  
When you say "loosing traction", do you mean the wheel starts spinning on the ground?? or does it stop turning so that you have to push the mower up the incline?

VA

05-17-08, 08:01 AM   #8  
Posted By: AAWrench When you say "loosing traction", do you mean the wheel starts spinning on the ground?? or does it stop turning so that you have to push the mower up the incline?
Yes, the right wheel starts spinning on the ground when mowing uphill. I stop mowing and put pressure on the handle to push down the right wheel so it can gain traction from the ground and it will self-propel fine. Looks like the left wheel should take over when right wheel starts spinning because both wheels are pulling when in self propel position. I am dumbfounded. Thanks for any input.

CA

05-17-08, 08:34 AM   #9  
Perhaps the turf is a little thicker then it was last year and the mower deck is dragging or holding the tires off the ground somewhat.

Try setting the cutting height up a notch or two to see it that keeps it from spinning on the ground.

VA

05-19-08, 09:52 AM   #10  
Posted By: AAWrench Perhaps the turf is a little thicker then it was last year and the mower deck is dragging or holding the tires off the ground somewhat.

Try setting the cutting height up a notch or two to see it that keeps it from spinning on the ground.
The deck in not touching the ground...when mowing the deck is three inches high off the ground. Thanks for you input.

Search this Thread