Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs & Stratton Oil Gard question

MI

05-15-08, 09:45 AM   #1  
Briggs & Stratton Oil Gard question

I own a Generac SVP 5000 series generator that has a Briggs & Stratton Industrial Plus model 196412 type 012901 code 9702191A engine. The engine wouldn't start this month and I checked for spark and there was none. The oil level is ok and the spark plug is new. I disconnected the lead to the Oil Gard module and the spark returned. I started the engine and reattached the wire to the oil gard module and it stayed running . It now starts with no problems. Can someone explain how the oil gard module works? Since this is a splash oil system I figure that it is a oil level switch of some kind. I checked the wire with an ohm meter and physically removed it to check for worn or missing insulation and it is ok. Does this unit complete a ground to enable the ignition or does it complete a ground to disable the ignition.

Thanks
Wayne

Sponsored Links

FL

05-15-08, 08:15 PM   #2  
Hey Wayne,

This should cover your question;

It's possible the float stuck ? If problems persist the module can be removed and washed in mineral spirits then lightly blown out, If that doesn't help replace it.

Cya

MI

05-16-08, 06:35 AM   #3  
That makes sense to me now. The output terminal showed continuity to ground when I checked it. I think I will clean it with mineral spirits now and monitor it with my monthly start up schedule. Thanks for your help.

Wayne

Search this Thread