Kohler help

Old 05-15-08, 01:24 PM
Kohler help

LV675
23hp
2 cylinder
spec# 851512

Need to know torque specs for piston rods to crank, rocker to push rods, and head bolts.
bought short block from Kohler but it does not come complete.

Thanks,
Kerry

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-08, 08:32 PM
Kerry,

Here is the rod specs; Torque the screws in increments to
11.3 Nm (100 in. lb.).

Here is the head and rockers;

Make sure both pistons are positioned down into the bores before tightening/torquing the rockers, If the piston is at TDC the valve could hit the piston and bend a push-rod.

Good Luck

Old 05-16-08, 06:34 AM
Thank you sir!

Kerry

Old 05-23-08, 01:38 PM
Same question, differnt model engine. I have a Kohler command pro 25 (CV730) and I just replaced the head gaskets. I put it back together and it starts but runs poorly. I think I might not have torqued the rocker arms down incorrectly. Is 100ft lbs correct for my engine? What else could cause rough running?

Old 05-23-08, 03:21 PM
Well on the rocker arms the most important thing you can do is make sure that the spacing between the valves and rocker arm is correct. You can do this with a feeler gauge. I'm not quite sure what the appropriate specs for this engine are but I'm sure that one of the tech guys knows or can find out.
-Will

Old 05-23-08, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
Same question, differnt model engine. I have a Kohler command pro 25 (CV730) and I just replaced the head gaskets. I put it back together and it starts but runs poorly. I think I might not have torqued the rocker arms down incorrectly. Is 100ft lbs correct for my engine? What else could cause rough running?

That would be 100 IN. LBS.

You may want to check the push-rods and make sure one didn't get bent and as you know this engine has lifters so the is no adjustment just tighten to spec and go mow.

A bad run problem could be caused by a few things, Carb/ignition and still a compression issue being valve seats or guides.

If you slowly apply the choke while running will the engine smooth out ?

Old 05-23-08, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the info tech. I posted my problem on another thread, too. It starts but runs rough. I can pull the spark plug wire off #1 and it runs the same, running on cylinder #2. When I torque down the rocker arms I have to do it with the rods in place, since I don't have rocker arm wrench. As they are tightend I can see the valve spring compress (1/8 to 1/4"). Is that normal? The manual states a maximum clearance of .020" but doesn't say anything about touching the springs and compressing them. I am getting spark and fuel to #2, it just doesn't fire. I switched the rocker arms from the exhaust and intake and it runs the same. I checked the rods and they are not bent. What do you think about shiming the hex flange bolt with a couple of washers to get the valves to seat at TDC? Thanks again.
Mike

Old 05-23-08, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
As they are tightend I can see the valve spring compress (1/8 to 1/4"). Is that normal?

Mike,

That's normal because the lifters are fully pumped up and wasn't bled down.

When you torque the rockers to spec walk away from the engine for about a hour and give the lifters a chance to bleed down and close the valves before trying to start it up.

The manual states a maximum clearance of .020" but doesn't say anything about touching the springs and compressing them.
I haven't a clue what you are talking about above, There is no adjustment on these valves......

Good Luck

Old 05-23-08, 09:26 PM
Thank you, again, for your reply. In section 11 of the Kohler service manual it states:
"Rotate crankshaft to check for free operation. Check the clearance between the valve spring coil at full lift. Minimum allowable clearance is 0.25 mm or 0.010 in."

I just thought I missed a step because I have zero clearance.
I did follow the blead down procedure that came with the gasket kit. The #2 cylinder still doesn't appear to be firing. After letting the mower to sit for 2 hours, I can start the engine and while it's running (roughly) I remove the #2 spark plug wire and it continues running the same (poorly). I checked for spark, and it has spark. I'll recheck for fuel getting to #2 in the morning.
Any other thought why it's only running on the #1 cylinder??

I

Old 05-23-08, 09:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
hmm.. part of the coversation is here, and part is on another thread. I replied to the other, but it is along the same lines as what 31YTech said.