Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Whats the best mower for 3 plus acres for under 3000.00

NC

05-16-08, 05:06 PM   #1  
Whats the best mower for 3 plus acres for under 3000.00

just trying to get alot of input before i buy..limited income..retired...thanks one and all

Sponsored Links

MI

05-16-08, 06:01 PM   #2  
Toro has sale on zero turn mowers--ck their web site.........under $3000

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-17-08, 01:12 AM   #3  
For that price, I think I'd lean towards a craftsman or husquvarna 54" garden tractor if you are set to buy new. If used is an option, check around the small engine shops in your area. You can find a pretty nice big mower for 3k. You should be able to get a nice used 48" LX series or 54" F725 mower from a deere dealer for well within that price range. Those are some of the machines I'd be looking for (in fact, I own and use a Deere LX188 48" mower myself, along with an old craftsman and a Kubota).

If you're looking into zero-turns, then exmark, scag, hustler, and several other companies make very nice ones, but you'll have to buy used to get most of those for that price.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

05-17-08, 09:39 AM   #4  
The best for 3 acres for under $3000.... Hard to say, if the land is reasonably flat and open (not lots of trees close together). New, I'd probably look at the biggest Husqvarna or it's clone the Craftsman DGT6000. I believe these come with a 54" mower deck. Check to see that the 54" deck will fit through any gates, doorways, etc.If you don't mind used, you can get a nice machine from any of the "brand" names like Deere, Simplicity, Massey Ferguson, AGCO, Cub Cadet 2500 series or 3000 series. ZTRs will cut a little faster, but there is a learning curve in their use. Don't know if you plan on using this for snow removal, or garden tilling in the future, if yes, then you should stick to a GT (garden tractor). If you are mechanically inclined and don't mind tinkering on a used machine, some of the vintage machines from the 1980's are available pretty cheap. Examples: A Deere 216 with 47" deck in excellent condition can be had for under $1000 as well as a Cub Cadet model 149, or Massey Ferguson 1600. These use the old reliable Kohler "K" series motors and are still supported with parts for the most part.

If you have a lot of stuff to trim around, tight areas to negotiate, a narrower deck and tight turning radius become more important. The Simplicity Regent (and it's clones from Massey Ferguson, AGCO, Snapper) has a narrower deck, cuts beautifully, and turns tightly. There is no one size fits all, depends a lot on what you need done.

WI

05-17-08, 10:02 AM   #5  
I would stay away from the Husquvarna / craftsman tractors due to steering failures. A good zero turn, Toro, Lawnboy, Exmark would be the best especially with a lot of tree triming. The MTD made brands have too light of hydro static motors in the zero turns and seeing a lot of failures in components for them. The best tractors for mowing and snow use would be in the X300 series john deere models. Anything else you would be waisting your money.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-18-08, 12:27 AM   #6  
I'm not seeing any unusual steering failure on the craftsmans/husquvarnas??? Are you?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NC

05-18-08, 08:18 AM   #7  
thanks cheese.. Of the husqvarna and craftsman would you prefer one over the other...I did notice the husqvarna had grease fittings on the right and left side of the deck that are easily accessed with the mower on the tractor. Are they made by the same co.? thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-18-08, 08:47 AM   #8  
Posted By: oren thanks cheese.. Of the husqvarna and craftsman would you prefer one over the other...I did notice the husqvarna had grease fittings on the right and left side of the deck that are easily accessed with the mower on the tractor. Are they made by the same co.? thanks
I've been out of the loop for a few months but last I knew both Craftsmen and Husqvarna were made by the same folks. The main difference I noticed was that the Husqy units did not come with any of the lower end options such as, lighter gage steel, stamped front axle or transaxle...etc. If you don't like the neon orange you should be able to find the same machine in the craftsman colors.

Search this Thread