Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need help with Sears 42" Kohler riding mower

TX

05-17-08, 06:48 AM   #1  
Need help with Sears 42" Kohler riding mower

Sears Craftsman Serial 917 256542 42" riding mower - bought new battery yesterday, and with gear shift on neutral and blade unengaged will not turn over. No click. Turning key will produce defection of DC Amperes meter to left (-). Juice is there but not turning over starter motor.
I have exploded view diagram but no manual or parts listing.
Could someone please provide a troubleshooting guide or list?
Thanks from Texas!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-18-08, 12:39 AM   #2  
Check for 12 volts at the white wire plugged onto the starter solenoid when turning the key to start. If it is present, and the solenoid doesn't click, then it is bad. If not, post back and we'll go from there.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

05-18-08, 04:33 PM   #3  
Lets get this thing rolling...

Hey...thanks for the reply!
a) I unplugged the white wire to the starter solenoid and it gave 12 volts. What does this wire do? Is it the seat safety circuit?
other checks I've tried:
b) Red battery cable into solenoid reads 12 volts
c) Red cable from solenoid to starter motor with key turned to "on" does not read voltage
d) The 30 amp fuse is not blown.

Found solenoid in Craftsman parts listing as #146154 ($15)

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-19-08, 12:34 AM   #4  
That wire energizes the solenoid to send power to the starter. If you have 12v on that iwre while trying to start it, and the solenoid doesn't click, then it is probably bad and needs to be replaced. The only other thing could be that it isn't grounding through the other wire plugged onto the solenoid. Unplug this wire (the one next to the white wire) and check it for continuity to ground. If continuity is present, then the solenoid is indeed bad.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

05-20-08, 09:52 AM   #5  
Will check on that next week

Thanks Cheese! Will look at that next week when I get back from business trip.
Again, thanks for your help.

Search this Thread