Troy Built gas trimmer

Old 05-17-08, 03:01 PM
Troy Built gas trimmer

Hello everyone. I was using my trimmer this afternoon and it seems to have lost drive connection between the engine and the line spindle. The engine itself is running strong but I noticed when I began that the spindle would spina bit even when I was not gassing it at all then all of a sudden nothing at all..... Anyone have a guess as to where to begin looking for this issue? I assume it might be some kind of clutch issue but not sure at all.

Thank you for reading.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-08, 12:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually this is just caused by the engine sliding off the shaft a little, which allows the cable to pop out of the clutch bell. Does the engine turn a little on the shaft? Can you slide it back down the shaft and tighten it? You might have to push the engine down while someone turns the trimmer head to get the cable to line up with the clutch for it to slip together.

If this isn't the problem, you likely have a broken cable.

Old 05-18-08, 09:03 AM
I have taken the shaft off and there is a silver bell looking piece on the end of the engine. It is held on with a screw that I cannot seem to loosen at all. The bell spin freely on the end of the engine shaft, I assume that it should not is this correct? When I start the engine it spins but I can stop it with my hand, again I assume I should not be able to do that....

If it makes a difference it is a model 425.

Old 05-18-08, 11:42 AM
Good news...got the silver bell housing off.

Bad news..... 2 springs and a cresent shaped piece came out. Looks like I'm off to a repair shop sometime this week.