Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

LX188 Kawaski 17HP

KY

05-17-08, 03:12 PM   #1  
LX188 Kawaski 17HP

I have a JOHN Deere LX188 with a Kawaski 17hp twin cylinder engine... Now my problem is this tractor sat for about 4 years gas had varnish in it so i went through cleaned the tank replaced lines filter etc. had engine running great for several days... Then it wouldn't start. Discovered intakevalves stuck bent two puhrods valves where covered in varnish. I cleaned them put it back together three days later again. this time i cleaned intake runners head one day later does it again... Any suggetions on where its coming from and what to do about it to stop it?

Eric

Sponsored Links

Non-US

05-17-08, 06:04 PM   #2  
Not sure I understand. Did you replace the pushrods?? Did you adjust the valve clearance?? Did you remove the valves & clean the valve guides & the valve stems?? If you only straightened the pushrods, You'll need to replace them as the first bend weakened them. Give us some more info & we'll sort it out,,, Roger

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-18-08, 12:14 AM   #3  
Also, are you running old gas? Does the gas have that strong "punch" to it when you sniff it like fresh gas, or is it kind of weak? It sounds like you're running old gas through it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

KY

05-18-08, 06:27 PM   #4  
I have fresh gas i have replaced the pushrods twice cleaned the heads and valve guides twice still seem to be getting a varnish build up on the valves that are locking them up where else could this be coming from the fuel filter is clean with no red in it float is still clean but yet i still have the problem.

Non-US

05-18-08, 07:47 PM   #5  
You have changed the oil, haven't you?? If the valve is free to move in the guide & the valve seal (I think there is only one on the intake valve) is O.K, there is nothing to varnish the valve stems. The only thing is the first time, the valve stuck & hit the piston & now has a very slight bend in the stem. Have you removed the heads & the valves to check for bends in the stems?? The carb isn't leaking causing a hydraulic lock, is it??? Roger

Search this Thread