blade shaft frozen Craftsman LT4000 Lawn Tractor

Old 05-18-08, 06:48 AM
Unhappy blade shaft frozen Craftsman LT4000 Lawn Tractor

Just found this forum and looks great!

Took blades off for sharpening and when I put them back on, engine would stall when engaging blades. I found that the pulley on the blade shaft would not turn. So I have removed the shaft assembly. It would seem that this shaft should turn freely in order for blades to turn since assembly is bolted immovable. All I did was remove the bolt holding the blades so I can't imagine what I could have done to cause this. Is it time to order a replacement part or is there a way to get this apart? I can't see any ring clips or anything holding the shaft. While I await replies here, I'm going to look at the other blade to see if I can discern anything different.

Thanks for any sage advice! Also - is there such a thing as a shop manual for these things that will guide doityourself repairs. I can't wait 3 weeks to get it repaired, the grass will be up to the roof!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-08, 10:02 AM
Model number for your tractor would help!

Take a close look at the deck pulleys and see if there is a break/stop that prevents the pulley/blade from spinning when blades are disengaged. Could this be what is preventing the pulley from turning?

If you cannot freely spin the blade without blade engagement or belt friction then you may have a seized bearing in the mandrel.

You can view a parts breakdown at the link below. Depending on the age of your tractor, you possibly can download a userís manual.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...t/index.action

Old 05-18-08, 05:17 PM
blade shaft frozen Craftsman LT4000 Lawn Tractor

If you wASH IT with water after every use you risk damaging the blade bearing. I learned that the hard way and also Sears says not to do it for the same reason. use compressed air.

Chipper man

Old 05-19-08, 06:09 PM
Thank you! I did not know that the specific model # mattered - thought LT4000 was enough. I'm traveling and not at home where I can get it. I think the problem is a seized bearing. Glad to know that thing's called a mandrel. I suppose I have nothing to lose by using force to try to break it free. Otherwise I'll have to replace the unit. I've used a lot of WD 40 on it.