Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

drivetrain replacement honda mower

PA

05-18-08, 12:47 PM   #1  
drivetrain replacement honda mower

I have a honda mower, model HRR21625SDA.
I ran over a big rock and believe i bent the drivetrain. anyone with detailed help to fix would be great.

Sponsored Links

TN

05-18-08, 01:32 PM   #2  
When you say drive train, do you mean the shaft where the blade attaches?

What makes you believe something is bent? It is common to bend the crankshaft when hitting objects. It is also common to shear a key in the crankshaft where the flywheel mounts. A sheared key usually presents itself by engine kick back when attempting to start the engine or the engine simply will not start.

You may possibly determine if the crankshaft is bent by removing the spark plug and having someone turn the engine by pulling the starter cord. Observe the crankshaft for wobble, etc. If you are unable to determine by this method, take a length of wire and secure it to the edge of the frame with vice grips. Pull the wire tightly to a point on the crankshaft and cut the wire as close to the surface of thee crankshaft as possible. Turn the blade and crankshaft slowly by hand. Why pulling the wire to the crankshaft observe the tip of the wire for changes in distance. If the gap between the wire tip and crankshaft changes the crankshaft is bent. I hope you understand my explanation.

A small engine shop can use a measuring devise to determine if it bent if you cannot.

PA

05-18-08, 04:27 PM   #3  
the mower shakes when it is running, and i did check for wobble and it does. what do i do now??

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-19-08, 12:38 AM   #4  
Sounds like you have a bent crankshaft, and you'll need to replace it if the mower is worth it. There are crankshaft straightening devices that some shops use with success. I don't use one, but that may be an option for you.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

05-19-08, 04:05 AM   #5  
the mower was $350 new last year. i would like to keep it, but im going to replace the crankshaft myself. i have never done it before, does anyone think it is worth the hassel?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-19-08, 11:35 PM   #6  
It shouldn't be that bad of a job, but you might want to price the crankshaft before taking it apart. It might be a bit of a surprise.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WI

05-20-08, 12:46 AM   #7  
Did you check the mower blade to see if it was bent out of shape like twisted or push up pretty good or kinda like concave shape ?

That part check that first if not then you got bent crankshaft.

as other they are pretty much right on target.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread