Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cub Cadet 1000 Lawn Tractor Motor vibration .

OH

05-18-08, 05:23 PM   #1  
Cub Cadet 1000 Lawn Tractor Motor vibration .

I replaced the 4 motor mounts on my 1975 Cub Cadet. The old mounts where orginal and worn out . I wanted to improve comfort of the l mowing chore.
The new OEM (MTD) mounts replace the orginals. I was given the technical sheet to install new ones. Not hard at all. Picture illustration of assembly and torque to 100 inch pounds.
Started the Tractor and set the engine for mowing but the engine vibrates so bad , worse than old ones.
Anyone know what's wrong ?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-19-08, 12:28 AM   #2  
When does the engine vibrate? All the time, or just when the baldes are on, or when the clutch is released, etc...? Were the old mounts broken?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

05-19-08, 07:47 PM   #3  
3600 rpm approx

The higher the RPM the more it shakes. Clutch in or Clutch out does not matter. Still shakes ! Shakes when blades are on or off !

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-19-08, 11:23 PM   #4  
With new mounts, I'd suspect something on the engine is out of balance or bent. Do you see a wobble at the crankshaft when running at idle? Is this a shaft drive? If so, it could be a universal joint problem.

God bless!

FL

05-20-08, 03:56 AM   #5  
As cheese mentioned check your drive shaft.

Could be wear/slop in numbers 24,25,21 or #29 ......

Good Luck

PA

05-20-08, 08:51 AM   #6  
I'm assuming that you at least part way removed the motor when you installed these isolators. When you reassembled everything, did you get the drives etc, centered? Accidently bend a pulley flange? If it ran decent before, I'm thinking that something didn't get reassembled just right and is causing the problem.

OH

05-20-08, 07:11 PM   #7  
Removed Clutch Assembly

I still question the new engine mounts. I removed the Clutch assembly and the engine still vibrates. That's how I found the problem was not related to clutch assembly. The pto pulley and the flywheel are running true.

It all started when I greased the steering box and I noticed the engine mounts lower rubber were rotted out with age. Well I thought it would be a good idea to fix it before its an issue. Never inted to create one with installing new mounts. If I could I would attach the tech sheet for you all to see. It's very simple task.

It said not to over tighten. I used the inch pound torque wrench to tighten to 100 in lbs . like the tech sheet said.

What if I loosen them up ? May be they are to thight ?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-08, 10:01 PM   #8  
I wonder if the old ones were so worn out that they allowed the engine to vibrate and move without transferring this movement/vibration to the frame. Now, the newer/stiffer rubber mounts are actually connecting the engine to the frame instead of letting the engine float in place. It could just be that you were used to a floating engine on bad mounts?

God bless!

Search this Thread