Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kohler CV15s Problem

IA

05-18-08, 06:01 PM   #1  
Kohler CV15s Problem

Hi,

I have a JD LT155 with a Kohler CV15S in it. All of a sudden it started belching black smoke and then lost almost all of its power. I checked the oil, and it seemed too high, though I suppose it could have been contaminated with fuel. If this was the problem, it was running for quite a while this way just fine. The spark plug was carbon fouled. After draining the oil and replacing, I tried to restart, and just got a single "BANG" and some smoke out of the muller. I did a carb kit, replacing the gaskets and needle. I tried to start again with the same result.

I don't really know what to look for. What failure would cause sudden black smoke and power loss?

Thanks for any ideas,

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-19-08, 12:22 AM   #2  
The black smoke is from too much gas. Sounds like the carb flooded the engine. Did you replace the spark plug?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IA

05-19-08, 06:42 AM   #3  
I had just replaced it a couple of weeks ago. I cleaned it up. Do I need to do it again just because of the flooding?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-19-08, 11:05 PM   #4  
Probably not, unless it is gas soaked and won't fire. I'd reccomend cleaning the carb and installing a carb kit, and see if that straightens it out.

God bless!

VA

07-14-08, 02:23 PM   #5  
It may be your Fuel Solenoid is bad. Will it run if you give it a shot of gas or staring fluid? I've had one go bad on both a John Deere and a Craftsman.

To test for bad Solenoid:
Remove the Solenoid from the Carburetor and Replace it with a Bolt the Same Threads and Diameter 1/2 to 3/4' Long. Turn the High-Air-Mixture-Screw In to Seat. **SNUG DO NOT JAM** Then Reverse the High-Air-Mixture-Screw 1 1/2 Turns. Run the Engine and see if this Solenoid is Good.

Hope this helps.

Noel

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-15-08, 12:16 AM   #6  
The solenoid will not cause this problem. This engine is getting too much gas. When the solenoid goes bad, it restricts gas if anything. Thanks though!

God bless!

Search this Thread