Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

tecumseh ov 195 ea and ariens ride on

WY

05-18-08, 06:28 PM   #1  
tecumseh ov 195 ea and ariens ride on

I have just replaced the engine on my ariens 912011,previously a 6hp tecumseh electric start tvm 140, new engine is a tecumseh ov 195 ea 7hp electric start.The problem is that I cant seem to connect the wiring so that the safety interlocks are operational. I have connected the interlock wiring to the green wire from engine and mower will only run with ignition key in off position when I turn it to on the motor stops.I have not put the battery into the system because I am not sure how it will react,or if the charging circuit is appropriate. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by davner; 05-18-08 at 06:37 PM. Reason: more information

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-19-08, 12:20 AM   #2  
The green wire on the engine is the kill wire. This should be connected to the same wire on the mower harness that the kill wire from the other engine was connected to. If it is, then there is something wrong with the keyswitch, or it is the wrong one (have you changed the switch?).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WY

05-19-08, 10:07 PM   #3  
tecumseh engine on ariens ride on

I have replaced a tecumseh TVM 140 6hp engine on my Ariens 912011 ride on mower with a Tecumseh ov195 xl engine. The wiring connections are totally different and I am having trouble getting the interlock to operate. Basically they dont. The mower will only run with the ignition switch in the off position if you turn it to the on position the mower stops. I have connected the interlock connector to the green wire from the engine but am not using the electric start Orange wire and black for earth the red wire I believe is for the battery charge and I have not connected it either the old wiring had the battery charge connected to the rear of the start solenoid and a set of wires connected to earth. where should I be connecting the wires?

WY

05-19-08, 10:11 PM   #4  
no the swith is the same the only change is the motor and trying to figure out where to connect the wires. The motor runs and mows ok but it has no safety interlocks now and the ignition switch is working in reverse

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-19-08, 11:13 PM   #5  
Did you connect the kill wire to the same wire that it was connected to on the old engine? Do you have a multimeter?

God bless!

WY

05-20-08, 01:06 AM   #6  
the old engine didnt have a kill switch as such it just switched off by using the key or by safety interlocks cutting the motor out if their conditions werent met.The wire from the safety interlocks is the one I connected to the green wire -kill switch. yes I do have a multimeter. do you have some thoughts on what may be the issue?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-08, 11:04 PM   #7  
If the old engine shut off when you turned the key off, then it did have a kill wire. It had one. It is the wire that plugs onto the coil. Locate that wire on the old engine so you can see what wire it was, and then plug the wire from the mower that went to that wire onto the green wire on the new engine.

God bless!

WY

05-21-08, 12:01 AM   #8  
yep thats exactly what I did

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-22-08, 01:57 AM   #9  
Ok, then we are back to a problem with the keyswitch. The switch grounds the kill wire when you turn it off. That's how you kill the ignition on your old engine and your new one. Both operate the same, so they should be doing the same thing if they are connected to the same wire. Something else got changed, switched, shorted, etc... in the process of swapping engines apparently. Your switch is at the moment grounding the kill wire when you turn it on; instead of off like it should be.

God bless!

Search this Thread