Help - Bolens BL100/150 String Trimmer wants to stall

Old 05-19-08, 08:20 PM
Help - Bolens BL100/150 String Trimmer wants to stall

I have the Bolens BL100 with less than 3 hrs use, 2 yrs old, very light trimming needs. EVERY SINCE I BOUGHT IT, I can almost never run it without it on half-choke (start in 1, move to 2 to run). If I move it to 3 (after a minute or two like I'm instructed), when I pull the trigger to accelerate the motor, it wants to die unless I "goose" the throttle. In position 2, while it won't quit, it seems to sputter a bit. Its acted this way since I bought it. I should have returned it, but it was purchased a couple seasons ago, so I'm out of luck there. Does this sound like an improperly set carb? The only setting documented is the "idle speed" screw. I was thinking it might be running a bit too "rich" or "lean" and there would be a screw to adjust that. Does anyone have experience with this problem and have a solution short of taking it to an "authorized service center"? I can't see spending more than half again on this unit for a single service call.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-08, 11:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's the problem with these type trimmers...one sevice bill and it's totalled. It's the carburetor, which is non-adjustable, or has very limited adjustments. Back both out as far as they will go, if it has 2 and if they are even adjustable.

Old 05-20-08, 09:20 AM
Thanks

Originally Posted by cheese View Post
That's the problem with these type trimmers...one sevice bill and it's totalled. It's the carburetor, which is non-adjustable, or has very limited adjustments. Back both out as far as they will go, if it has 2 and if they are even adjustable.
Thanks for the reply. The only adjustment available to the user is the speed idle adjustment. I turned it up to idle higher, and it helps a bit when trying to accelerate the motor from idle. Not perfect, as I'm sure the carb needs adjustment (probably a little too rich as it seems to prefer half choked).

My mistake was not taking it back right away when I purchased it. I thought the engine was new and probably needed to break in a bit. Well, even though it has a 2 yr "warranty", I was curtly told it does not cover "tune ups" and therefore they would need to replace the carburator and cost is $130. Since the trimmer only cost $70, he said just throw it away and buy a new one. He said he would not work on the carb because of government would fine him $50,000. This was the local "repair facility" that the Bolens website directed me to.

I was told if I had taken the unit in within 30 days of purchase, it would have been replaced. He didn't say whether it would have been a repaired model or new.

So much for a "2 yr warranty" since the fact it always stalls when trying to accelate is a "tune up" problem even though it came out of the box that way.

So I'm writing this to help others. If you get one that is not perfect, take it back immediately. Don't think the engine just needs to get broken in or it will smooth out after a few tries. TAKE IT BACK RIGHT AWAY.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-16-09, 10:13 AM
Bolens 100 into the trash heap??

I recently purchased a 100 from my neighborhood Lowes. It started somewhat ok the first few times that I used it, with the afrementioned stalling issues. Now, it just simply won't start, or if by some chance that it does start it won't re-start if it stalls. Nothing, nada, zip. I'm closer to getting a heart attack than I am to getting this thing to start. I'm following the starting instructions to the letter, with no results. Is there anyone at Bolens that can help? It sounds like this unit should be covered by a "lemon law" of some kind!!

Old 05-16-09, 07:24 PM
That seems to be a real problem with two stroke trimmers today.. To meet emission standards, they have to run them soo lean, they don't get enough fuel to work properly.. As Cheese said, If it has adjustment screws, turn them as far as the limiter will allow, You may have to remove the air breather or something to see them, tho... Good luck,, Roger