Need some help with my Toro Wheel Horse 14-38hxl

Old 05-20-08, 04:41 PM
Need some help with my Toro Wheel Horse 14-38hxl

I just bought a 1998 toro wheel horse 14-38hxl and I need to change the oil and I'd like to swap out the spark plug as well. I am a novice at all things mechanical but I am eager to learn. I have located the spark plug, but I have heard that you must get the right "gap" for your mower or you can damage it... a little advice on that would be nice, as I don't have a manual and didn't know if there was a standard sized "gap". Also, I found what looks to be the oil plug but it's on the side of the engine on the bottom right side (base of the oil funnel). This is different from every auto I've seen and just want to make sure that it is the right plug. Also, what kind of motor oil should I use? I know these may seem like silly questions, but I really would like to know how to do some of this work myself and I'm hoping that this is a good forum to do some learning. Thanks for any help you can offer.
-Mechanically ungifted in NC

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-08, 10:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The spark plug gap should be .030". The oil drain plug is where you noted it to be, and the oil should be SAE30.