Need Experts Advise... Peerlees Transaxle.

Old 05-20-08, 07:41 PM
Need Experts Advise... Peerlees Transaxle.

I need to change the rear axle oil seals (154) and I'm wondering if I have to split the case or can I just remove the two axle housings (136-138) ?

The numbers refer to the parts list pdf for model 2300-2315a found on the Peerless website. My transaxle being the latter.

Ayn help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Wayne.

Here's the link for the pdf.. http://www.odref.com/peerless/2300-SERIES/

Last edited by woscarr; 05-20-08 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-08, 09:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can remove the axle housings to replace the seals. Make sure the axles are clean and free of rust, then unbolt the axle housings and slide them off. There are bearings in the end of the housings that may need replacing, so take a look at them while you have it apart. I think there are gaskets for the axle housings too, so replace those before reassembly.

Old 05-21-08, 10:57 AM
Hi Cheese, and thanks for the info. I will go ahead and do the seals and bearings if needed.

I have a old 1975 MTD Columbia B&S16hp gear driven garden tractor the clutch started acting up late last summer so I decided to do a complete restoration this past winter. Everything is about done except a little work left on the clutch.

There was nothing really wrong with the trans axle, the tractor was on car stands in a shed and sometime this spring one of the rear axle seals decided to give up and I found a puddle of oil sitting under the tractor one morning, and it was obvious where it had came from !?

I have a second smaller 8hp rear engine tractor that's tiding me over, but I'm just dying to get this ol' girl back on the move

Thanks again
Wayne.

Old 05-21-08, 06:55 PM
There was nothing really wrong with the trans axle,

Well that is until I had a closer look at things. I have one leaking axle oil seal on one side and on the other, a bad axle bearing.

Compared to... taking apart and reassembling my clutch assembly (for the thrid time now) the trans axle was a breeze ! Clutch assembly is under 400lbs pressure !

So I have the pieces in hand. The two inch axle bearings should be no problem to find here in Ottawa. Can.. Where to get the oil seals for a Peerless I wonder ?

Oh by the way Cheese, no gaskets for the axle housings. Outer 'o' rings which were fine but will now have to be replaced I guess. I sure wont be cheapin' out there ! Like I said it was a fairly easy job but one thing for certain... The Peerless 2315a weighs approx. 80 lbs !! And will be a little fun to re-install !

Cheers
Wayne.

Old 05-22-08, 01:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, the bearings should be locally available from a bearing supplier. The seals might be available from the same. Especially if they have numbers on them. If not, check lawnmower shops in the area. They probably won't have the seals, but should be able to order them for you.