Honda Gx160

Old 05-20-08, 08:27 PM
Honda Gx160

I have a Honda Gx160 that is making a knocking noise. What could cause it to make a knocking noise??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-08, 09:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know what it is bolted to, but usually a knock on a GX honda is casued by whatever it is attatched to. If it has a pulley on the shaft, it may be loose.

Old 05-21-08, 08:58 PM
no the knocking is internal

Old 05-21-08, 09:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A lot of things could cause a knocking noise. Usually a worn rod bearing surface is the cause, but there are a lot of moving parts and load bearing surfaces that could wear and allow a know.

Old 05-21-08, 09:13 PM
well heres the deal I had several older engines in parts just laying around. They where all of the same type honda G x 160 5.5 HP, so i decided to try and build one since i had a new connecting rod and piston + rings. So after i got it all together and got the timing + valve clearances right it fired right up. I did not pay much attention to what it sounded like because i was just happy that it fired up. IT was my first attempt to rebuild and engine. A couple days later when i went to fire it up again i noticed a knocking noise. To be sure i removed the head and turned it over to see if it was inside the block. I am 100% sure that what ever it is is coming from inside the block. I am leaning towards bad bearings like you mentioned, but i just dont have enough experience to be able to tell.

Old 05-21-08, 09:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did the crankshaft you used have a nice smooth journal surface?

Old 05-21-08, 09:28 PM
Both the crankshaft and the camshaft where in excellent condition. I know that it is not the connecting rod or piston. The cylinder is in great shape, and i thought that the bearings where in good shape. I am really stumped as to what it could be.

Old 05-22-08, 01:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could the rod be installed backwards and be hitting the cam or part of the block? I don't recall for sure, as I seldom see the inside of a GX honda, but I believe the rod must be installed one way only. I'll have to check a manual to be sure.

Old 05-22-08, 06:11 AM
Could the rod be oversize or could the crank have been ground once before? I'd use plastigague or better yet, a micrometer set to check the bearing clearances.

- Joe

Old 05-22-08, 09:24 AM
Cheese i know the rod is on right, because there is only one way it can go on and i made sure it cleared everything before i put the side cover on. Im going to tear it down today and check the bearings and see if there is something inside that i missed.