Yardman autodrive transmission

Old 05-21-08, 08:05 AM
Yardman autodrive transmission

I have a yardman model 604 autodrive tractor that when i'm driving, it periodicaly skips . Feels like someone would be slipping into neutral and then back into gear. Is starting to do more often. Is there any adjustments that need to be checked or fluid levels that might cause this, old belts? I dont know. was hoping someone might have an idea before i take something apart i dont need to. thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-08, 01:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pretty much every time I experience your symptoms on a mower, it is because of internal transmission failure. Check the input pulley to be sure it isn't loose on the shaft, but I would expect your entire input shaft, pulley and all, are wobbling and allowing the drive gear to skip. This isn't a hydro tranny, right? It has the F/R shifter, and then the seperate 1-7 speed selector with park, correct?

Old 05-22-08, 04:57 AM
Thank you for responding. It has a f/n/r lever on left and a foot pedal for speed.

Old 05-23-08, 12:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think you'll find the problem to be internal .

Old 05-23-08, 11:24 AM
This unit uses a variable pitch set of pullies to change your speed. This speed variation feature is pretty common on MTD built tractors. The rear axle assemble is the weakest part of this unit. You did not say how hard you are working the unit when this skip happens. MTD had a few of these with loose input pullies on the top of the read axle other wise I would say the gears in the axle have a bad section. If so it is just as cheap to replace the entire assembly to fixing it and then you have a unit just like new.