Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Acts like it's locked up

OH

05-21-08, 02:31 PM   #1  
Acts like it's locked up

I have an old Homelite VI Super 2 chain saw that acts a though it's locked up. When I rempove the plug it is easy to pull. Replace the plug and I can not thrn it over.

Need some advice.

Forgot to mention, the muffler has been removed.

jinks

Sponsored Links

FL

05-21-08, 07:49 PM   #2  
from what little information provided, I would hazzard a guess that it has the wrong spark plug and the piston is hitting the electrode,

hope it just this simple, good luck

OH

05-22-08, 05:46 AM   #3  
liljman,

I guess the info posted is a little short, but I figured that someone would pick it up, then I would expand. So here is the situation. A couple years ago I loaned the chain saw to my son!!! When he returned it the muffler was gone. I tried to get parts, but due to the age of the saw, Homelite went bully up, no parts were available. Recently my younger son borrowed the replacement saw and I thought I'd better do something. I got on e-bay and purchased a used muffler for five bucks and this is when this problem started.

As I mentioned in the first post, when I got the Homelite out of the case and tried to start it I could not crank it over. So I removed the plug, which had been in it for years when it ran, and it turned right over. It acts as though a valve is stuck, but two cycle engines don't have valves. I don't think.

One thing I will do is check the plug, although it is a very small one, just to make certain what you mentioned is not a fact.

Thanks,

jinks.

FL

05-22-08, 06:19 AM   #4  
Could the replacement muffler have a blockage? Check the spark arrester screen (if it has one). Try blowing some compressed air through the muffler and see what happens. It should flow pretty freely.

- Joe

AL

05-22-08, 07:20 AM   #5  
On a couple of occasions one of my older chain saws, after an extended period of inactivity, would act as your does. I found that the fuel mix had apparently seeped into the cylinder and was causing an hydraulic lock when I tried to turn it over. I removed the plug and held the saw with the plug hold down while pulling the cord a couple of times, blowing out the oil. All was well after that.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-23-08, 12:33 AM   #6  
I agree with Thiggy...usually your symptoms are caused by fuel and/or oil in the cylinder causing such compression that it is hard to overcome it just by pulling the rope.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

05-24-08, 06:18 AM   #7  
Thanks !!!!!!

I want to thank ALL you guys for your input. I did find some oil in the cylinder and have it dripping out now. It certainly does act like a hydraulic lock up. Just can't compress that oil. Have not had a chance to try it, but when I get this think running I'll post the results to benefit the next person that might have this problem.

Every body keep an eye out for your buddy and remember "Keep Lookin' UP".

jinks

OH

05-24-08, 06:40 PM   #8  
Posted By: thiggy On a couple of occasions one of my older chain saws, after an extended period of inactivity, would act as your does. I found that the fuel mix had apparently seeped into the cylinder and was causing an hydraulic lock when I tried to turn it over. I removed the plug and held the saw with the plug hold down while pulling the cord a couple of times, blowing out the oil. All was well after that.
Thiggy,

you are the gretest. Upon closer examination I discovered what you quoted to be the problem. I took a little fuel and washed the cylinder out, let it dry up, replaced the plug, gave her a yank and glory be to God the old Homelite took off like a new one.

I worked so hard on this one I had to take a nap.

Then I went over to the range and shot the rest of the day. This retired life is getting hard to handle.

Thanks again for all the expert advise and remember "Keep Lookin' Up".

Jinks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-24-08, 09:25 PM   #9  
Glad you got it! Thanks for the update!

God bless!

OH

05-25-08, 07:41 AM   #10  
Profile Change

Hey Cheese,

Am I stupid or what!!! I've searched this form attempting to open my profile and for the sake of me I can't find the key. I enjoy several other forms and a few have the same type of format. I click on my name to open "profile" and a blank page appears. So what the heck am I doing wrong/

Jinks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-26-08, 12:25 AM   #11  
I think they are working on some part of the site again, because I can't even view your profile or mine, let alone change it. It should be back to normal soon. Wierd things happen on this site from time to time...they are always working on/changing something.

God bless!

OH

05-26-08, 05:15 AM   #12  
Cheese

Thanks for the up-date. I know it takes a lot of time and energy to maintain a site like this. You guys don't get enough credit for doing a great job.

jinks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-26-08, 08:48 PM   #13  
Thanks! ........

God bless!

Search this Thread