Gas Cap Bad ?

Old 05-23-08, 09:07 AM
Gas Cap Bad ?

I have a Coleman generator, 5000 Powerbase, with a 10hp Briggs and Stratton engine, I bought it in 2001, I keep it full, Sta Bil added, oil changed once a year, started 3-4 times a year. The engine proabley 45 hours on it. Last May, 2007, we had thunderstorms and the power went out. I went down to start the generator, instead of 5 gallons of gas, there was maybe a 1/2 a gallon. It started but ran very rough, I called Coleman, they told that the carb more than likely has to be rebuilt, thats why it was running rough. I filled the tank up and basically ordered a rebuild kit from Jacks small engine, I got the kit a week later, read the instructions, debated, debated. Then I decided not to rebuild it. The summer came and went, Dec came I ordered a new Carburetor. I received the carb, but other things distracted me. I went down to the basement last weekend to replace the Carb, the fuel tank was bone dry. I had added Stabil in Nov. and Feb. I have a funny feeling that the Gas cap has gone bad, allowing all the gas to evaporate. How do I clean up the 5 gallon tank of crap the comes from gas evaporating. I figure replace the line and filter. I ordered an extra fuel pump when I was going to do the carb rebuild. Any other ideas before I start this job.
Thanks
Gregory

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-08, 10:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do I understand correctly that the generator is in the basement? If so, 5 gallons worth of fumes could blow your house into the next state. My first thought, until I read where you keep the generator was gas thieves. Car tanks vented to the air for years, as do small engine tanks. I have never heard of one evaporating that quantity of gas. You will need to remove the tank to flush it.

Old 05-23-08, 03:48 PM
and I would want to be absolutely positive that five gallons of gas !? ain't sitting in the crankcase !

not good for main crank bearings I would think

just something to consider

Old 05-23-08, 09:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The gas didn't evaporate I'm sure. It leaked either slowly out of the grommet at the bottom of the tank or into the engine via a leaking carburetor. I also would agree about keeping that in the basement not being the best idea.

Old 05-23-08, 09:42 PM
In all the time this gas was disappearing, I never smelled any gas fumes. But there was a constant type leak that was dry when I saw it, it looked like oil, but had no viscosity or even a smell. I opened the oil filler hole and took a whiff of the oil, and ther was a very heavy smell of gas. The funny things is, I thought the fuel pump stopped gas from getting to the carb. I will drain the oil tommorow. How do I clean out the engine to get all the gas off the bearings. Any other steps I should do would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gregory

Old 05-23-08, 09:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The fuel pump won't stop the gas, it allows gas to flow through it freely...in fact it's about useless on a gravity fed engine. The good part about it is you can run a fuel line from the engine to a remote tank with the pump and still get fuel delivery.

Just drain the oily gas and fill the engine with new SAE 30 oil. You shouldn't have to do anything other than that. Make sure the carb problem is fixed (I guess fi you've installed a new carb, you can expect it to be repaired).

Old 05-31-08, 10:12 PM
I changed the oil, was expecting 2-3 quarts,(capacity is a little over a quart) I was surprised when it was just a quart came out, it had a strong gas smell, but was not thin and watery. I put a cheap quart 5-20 and took the spark plug wire and cranked it over 15-20 times to try and wash out and bad oil. I changed 5-20, put in 5w-30w Mobil one. I'm swappiing out the old carb next.
Thanks
Gregory

Old 06-01-08, 09:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you've got it licked. On engines that sit unused for a long time, if the oil gets contaminated with gas, the gas often has time to evaporate from the oil again and leave the oil level near to the proper level; not to mention the amount that seeped out of the engine and evaporated over time leaving the oily residue you see.