Toro 21" lawnmower drive wheels

Old 05-16-08, 07:11 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toro 21" lawnmower drive wheels

Hi:

I have several older Toro consumer mowers-Model #'s 20438, 20107, and 20684. Does anyone know how to remove the gear from the rear drive wheels? They appear to be attached with some type of drive pins.

My rear treads are worn, & I have 4 regular (non-drive) wheels that seem identical except for the gear. I'd like to swap the gears from the old wheels to the new, rather than pony up $20. plus for some new ones.

Anyone try to remove these gears with success?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 05-16-08, 08:01 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Try www.toro.com and then do some searching. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-17-08, 03:58 AM
R
Hi Geo:

I've been on the Toro site and have the parts breakdown. The drive wheels are only shown as an assembly. That's why I am asking if anyone has ever taken one apart, before I destroy one trying myself.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 05-17-08, 10:21 AM
No the gear is pinned to the wheel and is not removable and comes with the wheel as an assembly.

Old 05-25-08, 04:50 AM
R
For anyone that may be interested, I was able to remove the drive gears and install them on non-drive wheel tires. The "pins" that hold the gear on have reverse annular rings on them and definately cannot be just pulled out. So, just drill three access holes(about 3/16") into the face of the wheel corresponding to where these pins are and use a punch to drive them out. I made a simple radius jig from a plastic coffee can cover slipped over the wheel bolt threaded end. Then just hammer them in to the replacement tire.

There seem to be an abundance of front tires (which have little wear)at town dumps, so being able to do this can save someone quite a few dollars. Hope this helps someone out.

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: