Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

cub cadet w/15.5 briggs smokes

CT

05-24-08, 08:08 PM   #1  
cub cadet w/15.5 briggs smokes

I have a briggs 15.5 that smokes out the breather tube and when I feel the tube there is a lot of pressure could this be breather valve or the head gasket. Is ther a way to check the head gasket it is a ohv engine.

thanks Pat

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-24-08, 09:16 PM   #2  
That engine is famous for blowing head gaskets. You could check by pressurizing the cylinder, but I'd just pull the head off and change the gasket. Chances are that's your problem anyway, and if it's not, it could use the new gasket anyway. It doesn't take much to change it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

SC

05-24-08, 09:44 PM   #3  
Just to share... I am the owner of an International Harvester Cub Cadet. The lawn tractor is 49 years old has a Kohler engine and keeps on ticken. Lawn mower love.... TrueWench

CT

05-25-08, 07:22 AM   #4  
15.5 Off with your'e head!

Ok, It's off with the head today I'll post up the findings.

Also I need to find a place that has used bits and pieces for this cub model #1110 hydro.

all dash wiring and indicaters lights, gauges, pto switch any thing under the dash.

O yea thanks for the fast replys

KY

05-25-08, 06:22 PM   #5  
I will reveal to you the "Fish" method, if you will remember
where you heard it.

Remove the valve cover, then start the engine.

If the head gasket is fine, just a drop or two of oil will sprinkle about, if the head gasket is blown, you will know
it.....................

shh, you heard it here....................

CT

05-25-08, 08:21 PM   #6  
head gasket ng

Yes sir the head gasket was the culprit I'll order one up on tuesday, As for the "fish method" sounds like a mess but I didn't try it! Now just need to get the wiring in order.

Search this Thread