lawn tractor won't run

Old 05-25-08, 10:13 AM
lawn tractor won't run

hi i have a craftsman lawn tractor model # 917.270810 and i'm having a problem where it won't start. if i spray starter fluid in the carb or i let it sit for a few days it will turnover but only for a few seconds, not to sure what is going on

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-08, 11:07 AM
turning over and starting a two different things. be more specific. will the motor spin and just not fire up, or is it not turning at all?

Old 05-25-08, 12:34 PM
sorry... it will turn on and the moter will run for a few seconds, i can put it in gear and move it a few feet.. i took off the hose that comes from the fuel tank and if i put it on the ground so that it is lower than the tank the gas will come pouring out, but i'm not to sure what draws it from the tank when it is hooked up to the carb. thanks

Old 05-25-08, 02:20 PM
the only thing that draws gasoline into the carb is gravity,some machines have a fuel pump, but that shouldnt be the problem. it just sounds like a carb. issue to me. try taking it off, taking it apart and cleaning it.

Old 05-25-08, 04:04 PM
how exactly does the carb work on this machine, the fuel tank is under the seat and the hose runs the length of the machine through a fuel filter to the carb, it goes through some kind of diaframe and than into the bowl where there is a float. does that bowl fill up with gas? how does the gas get to the carb seeing that the tank is lower the carb? thanks for all your help

Old 05-25-08, 11:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It does have a fuel pump, and that could very well be the problem. Is there fue in the carb bowl? Take the top off the carb and crank the engine for a second. Does gas pump up through the opening between the carb throat and the fuel pump? If not, the pump isn't working.

Old 05-26-08, 04:44 AM
thats the problem that i'm having, if i crank it and than take the hose off the front of the carb where i believe the fuel pump is, there is no gas there. i even tried to prime it by lifting the back of the machine up to get the gas to flow to the carb but still no luck. i believe that the fuel pump is just those little screen diaframs with a spring in there in the front of the carb ... thanks

Old 05-26-08, 08:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you try what I suggested? You can't test the fuel pump operation on that engine by taking a hose off. Fuel doesn't pump out of the hose on that one.

Old 05-27-08, 03:40 PM
thanks for your help... what i found is that fuel pump is vaccumn operated so i tried putting hose clamps on the vacumn hose and now i have gas, the only problem is it's to much gas. I thought i screwed up the gas pump by taking it apart cause it looked like it was leaking gas from there, but today i tried starting it with the air filter off and the gas is spraying out the big hole in the carb and it runs until it floods out. the tray that holds the air filter is filling up with gas.... any sugestions ... thanks again

Old 05-27-08, 11:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
At the very least, you need to open the carb, clean it well and install a rebuild kit.

Old 05-30-08, 01:10 PM
i soaked the carb and put it back together and it seems to run fine.... have another question, i went to change the oil and was wondering how much oil it should take, i put in just under 2 quarts but it looks high on the dipstick, but i drained out quite a bit of oil, just wondering what the specs are on this cause i don't have a manual for the tractor... thanks

Old 05-30-08, 10:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The reason you drained so much is because the oil was probably diluted with gas and overfull. I think your engine takes a little over 1 1/2 quarts. Put it to the full mark.

Old 05-31-08, 08:57 AM
thanks for all your help cheese, the oil was pretty thin when i drained it, i had a hunch that's what was going on but thanks for confirming it.... i have another question for you, about the front wheels, if i put the wheel straight one of the wheels is on an angle outward, maybe 15 degrees or so, not positive which wheel it is seeing that i can only put one wheel straight and the outer is on an angle... just wondering if this is a common problem where a bushing or a gear got worn or loose. just figured i'd pick your brain before i took it apart... thanks again

Old 05-31-08, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would guess that the rod that goes under the engine connecting one front axle to the other is bent. Straighten it out and the wheels should be straight.

Search this Thread