mower deck adjustment

Old 05-25-08, 10:18 AM
mower deck adjustment

I have a 2002 Craftsman 917.271661 lawn tractor, I also have an older Craftsman lawn tractor. On my older one I can adjust how low the deck will go by turning a big round knob by the steering wheel, my newer one doesn't have this knob. I need to adjust the deck on the newer one so it cuts at the same height as my old one. Any idea's ?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-08, 10:33 AM
You can go to www3.sears.com to download a manual for your mower. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-26-08, 12:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I guess your new one has the numbers at the deck raise/lower handle? If so, just set it on the number that gets it to the same height as your old mower.

Old 05-26-08, 09:33 AM
I did that with the handle, still a little to high. I can fine tune my old one with the round deck adjusting knob. I could always raise my old deck up higher but I like the height it cuts. I have to lower the new deck, even with the handle down, its still to high.

Old 05-26-08, 08:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
So even at the lowest setting, it's too high? Odd...usually the lowest setting will nearly be scalping the grass down to the dirt. The manual should give you detailed enough instructions for making adjustments. I believe there will be a 9/16" nut on the deck hanger on either side that you can unscrew to lower the deck. Turn them an equal number of turns to keep the deck level.