Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Major Power Draw

MO

05-25-08, 05:25 PM   #1  
Major Power Draw

I have a Sears Riding Lawnmower 917.270514. Last year I got it out after several years of sitting and discovered the carb full of rust. Today I cleaned the carb, put in fresh gas and a problem. When I tried to start it, it would not try to turn over unless the brake was depressed and then a major draw, thinking the battery was dead, I took my foot off and it continued to draw and barely turn. Only until I disconnected the power completely did it stop. The cables to the battery are hot to the touch. I suspect the ignition switch. Any thoughts? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-25-08, 11:52 PM   #2  
Sounds like the solenoid is stuck and welded it's contacts together. This could be due to a larger problem, like a siezed engine, which would have made the starter over-amp, overheating the contacts in the solenoid and melting them together.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MO

05-27-08, 02:51 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. The engine turns just fine, a major relief I think. Do you still think it is the starter solenoid?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-27-08, 11:46 PM   #4  
Yep. You can test it to be sure though. Disconnect the starter cable, then re-connect the battery. Check for power at thw white wire plugged onto the solenoid. If there is power there without turning the key, then the keyswitch is bad. If there is not power there, but there is power at the starter cable, then the solenoid is bad.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread