Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

YardMan Weed Wacker overheating ?

05-25-08, 06:10 PM   #1  
YardMan Weed Wacker overheating ?

gas trimmer engine overheating?
I have a Yardman from crappy tire and the piston has seized on me twice now.After i freed it yesterday i thought i'd add extra 200 ml of oil to mixture.(40:1)Lots of oil in gas now.
Well it seized again today.
Idles smooth then after 5 mins wide open it stalls out.
Greased boom cable and can rotate at engine-boom separation with fingers.
Pulls easy with plug out,quite jerky with plug in.

Going to try running with boom separated from engine next.

What could possibly be causing this overheating ?

Sponsored Links

Non-US

05-25-08, 08:05 PM   #2  
You didn't tell us the model of the unit, but is the starter handle between the engine & the boom, drive unit, if so, the problem is likley caused by the crankcase leaking air & making the unit run lean.. If the piston siezed once, It"ll never be right, no matter how much oil you put in it.. Sorry,, Roger

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-25-08, 11:46 PM   #3  
I agree...it's done now. Time to go shopping for trimmers .

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-26-08, 05:34 AM   #4  
ok,thanks guys
No sense messin around till the grass is 2 feet high

Maybe I'll try Cosco or HomeDepot this time

Have a good 1 and Happy trimmin

05-26-08, 05:40 AM   #5  
Posted By: hopkinsr2 You didn't tell us the model of the unit, but is the starter handle between the engine & the boom, drive unit, if so, the problem is likley caused by the crankcase leaking air & making the unit run lean.. If the piston siezed once, It"ll never be right, no matter how much oil you put in it.. Sorry,, Roger
It's a Yardman Y28 and yes the starter handle is between the engine and the boom.
The piston might have got scored i presume.
I'm going to check the spark arrester,I've read it can cause problems.
I've seized a homelite chainsaw once and once i got it free,it ran like a top.

05-27-08, 01:24 PM   #6  
Yard Machine Grass Trimmer

Well disconnected the boom cable and the symptom is still the same.After 5 mins of running the pull cord seizes,telling me either the piston scored the cylinder wall or the needle bearing are shot or both....lol
After 4 years of use i figure i got a deal for $100.
But 40:1 ratio using crappy tire 2 cycle oil is hard on those crappy tire crankshaft needle bearings.
Am going with an Echo Gt200RSP for $200 at HomeDepot
even thou the warranty is only 2 years.It's a rapid loader with i-30% pull reduction.
Echo recommends a 50:1 ratio i believe but the crankshaft has roller bearings not needles.
MTD has an oil out with stabilizer already in the oil and 25:1 sounds good.

MO

05-27-08, 03:26 PM   #7  
Echo makes some of the better products out there, why would you spend $200 for a product from Echo and not use the oil and mixture they recommend. Just my $.02, Have a good one. Geo

Non-US

05-27-08, 03:50 PM   #8  
I have to agree with Geogrubb. If you buy a quality trimmer, don't re-engineer it. Running it @ 25:1 fuel mix will only foul plugs, plug exhaust ports & spark arresters, leak oil from the muffler & make you smell like the pit area of a "70's dirt bike race track . Lots of professional saws run 40-50: 1 & last for years. If you have douts about the quality of "Crappy Tire oil, don't use it, however I will tell you I have a 295 Poulan Pro with 12 years run time on it cutting 9 Full cord of wood a year & never a problem with Canadian tire oil. (I live just west of Ottawa). ...Roger

Search this Thread