Ariens Starter Rope

Old 05-25-08, 07:04 PM
Ariens Starter Rope

I have an Ariens Model 911504 Quantum XTS
Engine # 12H802-3174E1.
They say they don't make them anymore but it's a 12HP self-propelled so I want to keep it up.
The starter rope broke. The lawnmower shop wants $45 to replace the rope and I think I can do it for less.
I have searched and searched and found a good video http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3ZMVFi0yqY of how to change the rope but it's a Honda mower he is working on so it's not the same as an Ariens.
When I have it all changed it winds good. But as soon as I mount it to screw it back on it seems like it's hanging on something and the rope will only pull out a little.
Maybe someone can tell me what I've done wrong or where I can find help.
Thanks! Here is a pic if anyone wants to see..LOL
When I put the starter assembly back on....it hangs.

Last edited by Dawter; 05-25-08 at 07:14 PM. Reason: tried to add image
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-08, 07:57 PM
If the "tail"" (for lack of a better word) in your knot is too long, it can catch & cause grief.. Make the knots small & tight, & leve no extra "tails" hanging out... Good luck,, Roger

Old 05-25-08, 09:12 PM
The knot is small and tight

Old 05-25-08, 11:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like maybe the engine is hard to turn. Maybe the reason it broke the rope in the first place? Just so you know, that's not a 12hp engine in the pic.

Old 05-26-08, 07:11 AM
Okay Cheese, stop showing my ignorance to everyone
You're right. It's a 6HP. What was I thinking???LOL
Well, I don't even know which part on the mower is the engine. I wish someone could tell me the names of all the parts and what they do.
The rope was frayed and every time I pulled on it it would fray a little more...until it just broke.
I knew it was going to break so I was studying up on how to repair it when it finally breaks.
Think I'll go make some coffee It's raining out anyway.

Last edited by Dawter; 05-26-08 at 07:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-26-08, 08:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the rope operates freely when the top is off the engine, but does not when it is installed, then I would suspect there is a problem with the engine...or the engine brake. Are you holding the flip-bail at the handlebar when you try to pull the rope? If not, it will be hard to crank and act as you described.

Old 05-27-08, 03:47 PM
I don't even get that far. As soon as I sit it on top of whatever that thing is called that I sit it on, I don't screw it down yet. I try to pull out the cord and that's when it only will come out a little...like it's stuck on something.
There are 2 nylon flapper type things where you wind the cord. They don't catch when I practice pulling it out. I don't know....it's catching on something but there's nothing there for it really to catch on...I'm stumped. Not knowing what the parts are called by name it's hard for me to describe it.
I'm going to look on the internet for a diagram that names the parts of a mower.

Old 05-27-08, 11:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like it's working like it should. You won't be able to pull the rope more than a few inches unless you pull that bail on the handlebar. That bail releases the engine brake so it will turn. When you pull the rope, you are trying to turn an engine with the engine brake activated, that's why you can't pull the rope.

Old 05-28-08, 01:28 PM
Talking

I came home from work and was going to take the starter thingy up to the lawn mower repair guy. But first, I thought "I'll see if there's a reply from Cheese about my mower."
Honey, Baby it worked!!! I quickly praised the Lord and ran in to tell you.
Thank you so much, Cheese.
Now out to mow the grass...

Old 05-28-08, 10:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
...Great! Glad we could help you out!

Old 05-29-08, 04:45 PM
Now....my mower is self-propelled. The wheels are slipping...

Old 05-29-08, 09:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Meaning they don't turn? I'd say you need to tighten the cable from the engagement handle if it is adjustable, or replace the belt.

Old 06-29-08, 10:40 AM
Replace the belt.....the belt by the blade? Is there another belt somewhere? Sorry for the ignorance.
Thanks

Old 06-30-08, 09:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, the belt just above the blade. That's the only one. Is it tight when you engage the wheel-drive handle?

Search this Thread