Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Homelite String Trimmer - Can't pull rope starter

CT

05-27-08, 07:01 AM   #1  
Homelite String Trimmer - Can't pull rope starter

Hi All,

I have a Homelite straight shaft string trimmer that is just over a year old. Last season the trimmer worked fine. It started and ran the way it was supposed to. This season, I could only get it to run in half choke. If I moved it to the run position, it would stall. The last time I used it (running in half choke), it stalled when I let go of the trigger and when I tried to restart it, I couldn't pull the rope starter at all. Trying to pull on the rope made a noise like metal hitting metal. I gave it a couple more yanks and it freed up, but didn't turn over. Then, it got stuck again and has been stuck since. I removed the spark plug and tried to pull the rope, but still get the same result. Do you think the engine seized up or is this a fixable issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil

Sponsored Links

TX

05-27-08, 07:27 AM   #2  
Take the muffler off,and check the cylinder for scoring.Also check the piston for any scratches.Hope this helps.

Jerry

MI

05-27-08, 08:16 AM   #3  
Your starter spring may have jammed.
Is your pull handle in front or rear of unit?

CT

05-27-08, 10:07 AM   #4  
The pull handle is in front of the unit (closest to the shaft).

I hate to ask this question, but, my mechanical skills are minimal at best. Would I be able to see the piston and cylinder just by removing the muffler?

Thanks,
Phil

MI

05-27-08, 11:20 AM   #5  
I don't know--maybe cheese will pop in & tell us.
I love taking things apart--I would get owners manual & check exploded view of unit & take it apart until I found what is broken. Sometimes I do have a few parts left over-but what the heck

Search this Thread