Craftsman Eager1

Old 05-27-08, 11:34 AM
Craftsman Eager1

Hey I have a 6.75hp Craftsman Eager 1 mower.

The problem is it'll start up cold just fine, but after running a short while it'll just die like it isn't getting fuel. If i immediately try to restart it, it does nothing. If i let it sit for 1 minute, it'll start up, run for a few seconds, and then kill. Looking around online it seems like this may be a carb problem, but I'd prefer someone who actually knows to give an opinion on what it may be. If it is a carb problem is it just fixable or do i have to replace the lower bowl?

thanks in advance

dave

Last edited by dwoodfill; 05-27-08 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-08, 01:17 PM
Sound like the fuel cap has come apart and parts have dropped into the tank, remove the cap there should be a sorta bell shaped device in the cap either silver or black, if it is missing you need to get the old parts out of the tank and get a new cap. If that isn't it, then:

I will guess this is a Tec engine so here we go;
Clamp off the fuel line, remove the carb bowl, release the clamp to see if you have good fuel flow to the carb, raise the float to see that it shuts off the flow with minimal pressure, clean the junk from the bowl, clean the bowl nut, 2 holes close to the bottom and a tiny one about midway up(I usually use the wire from a twist tie), spray all holes, cracks and crevases with brake parts cleaner, reassemble and you should be good to go. If this didn't work it will be probably be necessary to rebuild the carb. If I missed something one of the real mechanics will post to help further. Refer to the photo below. Have a good one . Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...c_bowl_nut.jpg

Old 05-27-08, 04:31 PM
Popped off the cap and all that's there is a little black stick(in the middle), so I'm guessing there is suppose to be more there?

An update to the way it's behaving is as long as the engine is cold(to the touch) i get about 5 minutes of mowing time before the engine starts dying. When the engine dies it's never immediate it kind of sputters to a stop.

thanks!

Old 05-27-08, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
hmm...boy that sure does sound like an oil cap. BTW hows the oil level? I had one kinda did the same thing, but only once, and it turned out the oil was low.

Old 05-27-08, 06:44 PM
It's the fuel cap, so to get verification, and to get the other parts out of the tank, remove tank, hold your finger over the fuel feed hole and fill the tank with some fuel, put the fuel cap on and hold the fuel tank over the supply tank(we want to drain the fuel back into the tank we filled it from), remove your finger and you will see the fuel will stop draining, remove the cap and it drains. Now find the black disk and sponge that are in the tank somewhere, get a new cap and you are good to go. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-28-08, 03:43 PM
The problem is it'll start up cold just fine, but after running a short while it'll just die like it isn't getting fuel. If i immediately try to restart it, it does nothing. If i let it sit for 1 minute, it'll start up, run for a few seconds, and then kill
Im having the exact same problem on my 3.5hp. Changed the oil, replaced the plug and air filter-still starts fine and then dies. Every spring, it starts with just one pull, including this one.

Old 05-28-08, 04:25 PM
supersonicklutz
Start a separate thread and post the engine numbers please. Have a good one. Geo