No spark, Briggs Intek

Old 05-28-08, 02:01 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No spark, Briggs Intek

Hello, I can't see a spark with plug base grounded on Briggs Intek OHV engine,

120602 0131 E1 000525 FA

spinning over with recoil pretty fast. Owner had the coil replaced(?), if true it seems odd it would be bad. The ground wire is free, floating in air not touching anything. Coil air gap looks good, about 0.008". Tried New plug + old one. Haven't checked condition of flywheel key. Also, I've never worked on one of these, so I can't be sure the coil is on right, could the previous tech put it on backwards? Coil is sitting with spark plug wire exiting coil on the side facing block, kill wire lead on the side facing out and to the left when looking at flywheel, head at 12 0'clock. Also, is there a test that can be done with a multimeter on the coil?

Sorry for all the questions, any help is appreciated.

John

Old 05-28-08, 02:36 PM
First make sure the small wire from the coil is disconnected either at the coil or at the throttle adjuster plate where if you are way down on the throttle it will ground out the coil. If you disconnect the wire at the coil you eliminate any grounding of the wire from the coil to the shut off. With the plug removed check for spark. You do not get a new bad coil very often so you should have spark. Then trouble shot the system for grounding out the small black coil wire.

Old 05-28-08, 10:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Sounds to me like the coil is upside down. The kill wire should be on the underside of the coil when mounted properly.

Old 05-30-08, 04:24 PM
J

Flipped coil over, now have spark. It seems weak, maybe thats normal for electronic ignitions. On points ignitions you get a good fat blue spark at low rpm, I hope coil electronics weren't damaged by trying to run it in reverse. Another question, I am rebuilding the carb, float type, probably a flo-jet? I replaced the needle and seat, what bothers me is when inverted, the float sits past level, almost touching carb body, seems like there should be a little more space in float travel to get a good needle to seat seal. Float is plastic, so no adjustment seems possible. I pushed new seat as far down as it would go, is it possibe to push it too far down in the hole? Used a dowel pin that was smaller than passage to push it down. I need to get a rebuild manual, for now I ask the forum for advice.

Much thanks

john

Old 05-30-08, 09:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't recall checking float height on one of those carbs, simply because there's nothing you can do about it anyway. I don't think you can push the seat in too far under normal conditions. Maybe with a hammer or a press.... If you got the correct parts for the carb, put it together and see if it works...

Old 06-03-08, 02:27 PM
J
Thumbs up

Thanks again, put it back together, not flooding , no leaks, runs great.

John

Old 06-04-08, 12:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good news! Thanks for the update...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: