Chainsaw Help

Old 05-27-08, 06:31 PM
Chainsaw Help

I have a Craftsman 18" chainsaw that is 2 years old, but I can't get it started. I have recently replaced the sparkplug, cleaned the airfilter, and spark arrest screen. The problem started when it stalled out during heavy use, so I assumed it was overheated. I waited a few hours, and started the saw without problem. I let it idle for about five minutes, then gave it gas, and it sounded like it was straining and shut off. I couldn't even get it to spark, so I replaced the plug again and nothing, and now I am out of options. I appreciate an advise someone can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-08, 07:07 PM
When you say""and it sounded like it was straining and shut off. I couldn't even get it to spark, so I replaced the plug again and nothing,"" do you mean it had no spark at the plug,, or it wouldn't fire when you pulled the cord. Did you check for spark at the new plug?? Let us know,, Roger

Old 05-27-08, 09:21 PM
check and make sure that the chain brake is not engaged. mine is easy to hit when starting and will give you that strain sound with no chain movement.

if we aren't supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

Old 05-28-08, 06:16 AM
It strained when I squeezed the throttle like it wasn't getting enough air, and only did that after about 5 min of warming up. When I first started it, I could open it up and it seemed to work fine, but once it warmed up, it would shut off. Yes, I meant that I couldn't get a spark when I pulled the cord after replacing the plug with a new one. I checked the brake and it was not engaged. I'm going to give it another look today, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-28-08, 10:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you grounding the spark plug while checking for spark?

Old 05-29-08, 06:15 PM
Yes, I am grounding it against the engine housing. I talked with someone else today and they mentioned that I may have a bad coil. Any input?

Old 05-29-08, 09:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Disconnect the kill wire from the coil and check for spark again. If still no spark, then the coil is bad.

Old 06-01-08, 07:09 PM
Thank you for the help. I will try to replace the part and see if it works. Now I just have to find it. I appreciate the help Cheese.

Old 06-01-08, 07:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Follow the spark plug wire to the coil. It's mounted by the flywheel.

Old 06-04-08, 05:17 AM
Great response. Not sure if you were joking or not, but I meant to find the part available for purchase. It seems that Sears d/c'ed it and I can only get used ones on Ebay that look pretty used.

Old 06-04-08, 08:09 AM
What is the sears model numbers. Most of these saws for sears in the last two years are Poulan/Husqvarna manufactured and the parts are the same. You can look up the info on the sears web site and get your part numbers and go to any AYP/Poulan/Husqvarna dealer. When you cleaned the spark arrestor, did you remove the muffler and look at the piston for scoring, scratches on the piston? Another quick check is to spray a carb choke cleaner in the intake on the carb with the air cleaner remove to see if the engine will try to run. I have seen a lot of fuel line failure lately and blame it on the ethanol in the fuel. I recommend all two - cycle engine users to use premium gas in their mix. These engines run lean enough and the ethanol will make them run leaner. I have rebuilt several lately with scoring and I know the mix of oil and fuel was correct but the gas had ethanol in it. One new unit failed before leaving the shop when we were testing for proper operation and we had the 87 octane fuel in our mix. A consultation with the engineer at the engine manufacture, suggested that a 32 to one mix when using 87 octane with ethanol to help prevent the engine scoring or use the high octane without ethanol.

Search this Thread