Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kohler 25 Command Pro CV730S problems

WA

07-09-14, 02:00 PM   #41  
Mower running really rough after head gasket replacement

I have CV730S 0017. I just replaced the head gasket on right side cylinder (not sure what number that is). I was having issues with smoke and oil leaking from the exhaust port. I finally got it back together last night but it wouldn't start. I through the battery charger on it for a bit last night and was able to get it started but it was running really rough (backfire). I put the charger back on it again this morning and started it up again this afternoon and it was still running very rough. I pulled the plug wire off the cylinder that I changed the gasket on and it started up fine and ran smooth bit with very little power. I then shut it off and put the plug wire back on and removed the other plug wire. I could barely get it to start and when it did it ran very rough. Any ideas what the problem might be? It ran fine before, other than the smoke and oil leak. Could tightening down the head bolts too much cause this? I wouldn't think so, but thought I would ask anyway.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-09-14, 04:59 PM   #42  
I'd change the plug and run it a bit, it could be that a lifter on that side extended too much and is keeping a valve open a bit.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OR

07-14-14, 09:12 PM   #43  
GT5000 w/cv730s

I to have this type of mower. Purchased new in May 2005. It has been well taken care of. It has backfired from time to time hot while shutting down. The other day it started up with a puff of black smoke. It died within a few seconds when I tried to go to full throttle. It restarted promptly and then while mowing just quit. Trying to restart it sounded like metal on metal, king of like when you blew up your two stroke motocrosser back in the 70's. Hasn't run since. No compression in either cylinder. Spark and gas to both. What does the jury think?

I thought these motors were bulletproof until I read this forum.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-14-14, 11:27 PM   #44  
Out of oil? Sounds like it blew. Put a straw down the plug hole and see if the pistons are moving just to be sure.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

RI

07-17-14, 10:37 AM   #45  
linkage binding

I got the oil leak problem fixed (fingers crossed) after assembling the engine control parts the choke linkage binds. the diagram in the manual I have is not correct, I thought I had everything back correctly. So if someone can snap a pic of the linkage and cables in place so I can compare. The engine is a CV730-0017s , I guess the s is for sears.
Thanks.

07-11-15, 12:11 PM   #46  
Engine running on one cylinder

I know this is an old post and I hope you were able to fix the problem but just to give you something to think about... did you ever consider the ignition module as the problem? When an ignition module goes bad, the spark plug on that side will not receive any spark and therefore the engine will only run on one cylinder. Testing and replacing the ignition module, if applicable, might solve your problem. Good luck!

Search this Thread