Replace gas tubing on Craftsman string trimmer

Old 05-29-08, 10:47 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replace gas tubing on Craftsman string trimmer

I have a Craftsman string trimmer model 316.798240. The plastic gas tube has cracked and needs to be replaced. From looking at the parts diagram on Sears web site and starting to disassemble the trimmer, it seems that I have to remove the clutch assembly to be able to remove the fuel tank. I am not able to pull of the clutch drum. Is this part threaded or just press on? Is there a trick to removing it?

Now, with all of those qustions, let me ask the silly and basic question. Am I taking the correct approach for removing the fuel tank?

Thanks
Brian.

Old 05-29-08, 05:04 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
It is not normally necessary to dis-assemble the trimmer, you cut the new tubing at an angle feed it through the hole far enough to grasp with pliers and then pull it through, in some cases I feed some fishing line into the tank through the fuel line hole then fish it out, attach it to the tip of the new fuel line the pull the fuel line though enough to grasp with the pliers. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-29-08, 07:09 PM
G
I used small speaker wire instead of fishing line, but only because it was readily available.
DON'T get the lines crossed up. Draw a small diagram to help you route the lines back correctly.
GEOGRUBB is correct on not needing to pull the tank off.
Even if you take it off, it's not like you can open it up to perform the work. Be patient & cut it on a 45 degree angle & place a small hole in the long point to tie the line or wire to so you can pull the line from inside the tank to the outside.
Take note of how long the line is in the tank for the filter side & the return side.

John 3:16

Old 05-29-08, 07:12 PM
B
Geo, interesting suggestion. Certainly sounds much easier. What should I expect as far as sealing the tubing to the tank?

Old 05-29-08, 07:16 PM
G
This ain't GEO but, No sealer needed, the line fits tight enough for it not to leak.

Old 06-02-08, 08:32 AM
B
Thanks for your help. Got the fuel lines replaced this weekend and all is happy.

Old 06-02-08, 08:37 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
To hear that a suggestion from the froum helped someone fix something is what makes it all worth while. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: