Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh 6.0HP runs in idle only

MT

05-29-08, 01:54 PM   #1  
Tecumseh 6.0HP runs in idle only

Howdy. Working on my mother's string trimmer mower, which has a Tecumseh 6.0HP, model VLV60. Engine runs in idle only; when increasing throttle, engine quits running as if flooded.

Actions taken: Replaced gasoline (it was old), cleaned carburetor (compressed air only, did not have carb cleaner available).

Appreciate any hints or tips. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

MO

05-29-08, 04:26 PM   #2  
Maybe you did already but clean the bowl nut(main jet) real good, refer to the link below, I usually use the wire from a twist tie. Have a good one. Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...c_bowl_nut.jpg

MT

05-30-08, 10:01 AM   #3  
Same symptom

Thanks. I removed the bowl and cleaned the jet. Mine is different than the one in the picture, it's plastic and seats down in the middle of the bowl, but same purpose. Anyway, cleaned it out with copper wire & compressed air, re-assembled the bowl, and have the same symptoms.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-30-08, 10:24 PM   #4  
I'd be inclined to just replace the carb, or at least install a bowl kit. The carb is cheap though...stick a new one on and rid yourself of a headache. You could wind up spending a lot oftime and end up having to get a new one anyway to fix it (these half-plastic carbs aren't known for reliability).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MT

05-31-08, 08:54 PM   #5  
Thanks

Sounds great, that's what I will do. Thanks!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-01-08, 09:59 PM   #6  
Anytime........ Let us know if you run into a snag!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread