Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro 2 cycle lawnmower Governor problem

05-30-08, 08:59 AM   #1  
Toro 2 cycle lawnmower Governor problem

I have a 1990 Model 20680 2 Cycle Toro lawnmower. I took the carburetor off and cleaned it and reinstalled it. I started it up and it ran at only one speed and at a very high speed. I talked to service shop and they told me to adjust governor arm by loosening clamping nut on that arm and moving to the right--doing so with the throttle half way. Again when I started the engine it ran at very high RPM's but now I could adjust the speed somewhat. Also there was a bit of smoke coming from the exhaust port on the muffler. I never saw that before and think it is due to getting too hot with excess RPM's. I must not have either hooked something up right or adjusted it properly. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

MO

05-30-08, 09:35 AM   #2  
You can download a service manual for your engine at www.toro.com then go to consumer parts lookup. Have a good one. Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-30-08, 10:41 PM   #3  
Sounds like you got the throttle linkage in the wrong hole either on the carb or the governor arm.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread