Vanguard 14hp - Runs 10-15 sec then dies

Old 05-30-08, 09:05 AM
Vanguard 14hp - Runs 10-15 sec then dies

I've been working on a B&S 14 hp Vanguard model 28P777 type 0644 with OHV for the past several days and it has been one frustration after another. The current problem is getting it to stay running. It will start easily and run for 10 to 15 seconds and die. It will immediately start again (not ignition problem ?) run for 10-15 seconds and die. I've rebuilt the carburator, clipped the end of the fuel solenoid (as a result of another problem with the alternator) , set the valves according to specs. I've even filled the fuel bowl and unhooked the gas line and watch it pump into a can as the motor ran until it used up all of the fuel in the bowl. (may have actually ran a few seconds longer). Any help would be appreciated before I take a cutting torch to it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-08, 09:49 AM
Additional Information on Vanguard 14hp

Just went back to work on engine and now I have no spark. Could the problem of dying have been a problem with the magneto being bad?

Old 05-30-08, 10:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, but your problem almost makes me think that the coil kill wire might be pinched behind the starter and shorting out intermittently. Does it ever backfire when it shuts off?

Old 06-03-08, 06:32 PM
Thanks for replying to my post. You were on the right track. I finally unplugged the wires from the stator. One went to the fuel solenoid and the other went to the magneto. With it unplugged it ran fine. As soon as I plugged it back in it would die in 10-15 seconds. Apparently someone had done some rewiring and didn't put the right parts back on (duel stator instead of a tri). Knew something was up when my parts dealer said it sounded like a bad regulator and I kept telling him it didn't have one or a connection for one. So I just bypassed the stator (won't charge and lights won't work) and ran the kill wire to the M on the ignition switch and the fuel solenoid wire to a hot terminal with the switch on. Runs great now as long as I don't need lights and my battery has a good charge.

Old 06-04-08, 12:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can take the stator lead with the diode in it and connect it to a positive battery source to keep the battery charged, and run the other stator lead to the lights. This should make the battery and lights work as they should without causing any change in the way it runs.

Search this Thread