TORO Trimmer Issue

Old 05-30-08, 12:27 PM
TORO Trimmer Issue

I have a two year old TORO string trimmer. It will start-up per the normal procedures and run okay for about 5-10 minutes. About this time, the motor starts to "chug" and not accelerate when the trigger is pulled. The spool stops turning and won't start spinning because the engine RPM's are so low.

If you kill it and try to restart immediately, the same thing happens. If you let it cool down for 20-30 minutes, the cycle starts again (5-10 okay run then sputtering).

I pulled the tank filter and backwashed it with carb cleaner and blew it out with compressed air (backwards - against normal flow). I pumped carb cleaner and Sea Foam through the lines and let it sit for an hour but its still loads up after 5-10 minutes!!

Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-08, 03:25 PM
Try removing the muffler and cleaning the spark arrestor, they get clogged with carbon, also make sure all bolts ar tight. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-30-08, 06:53 PM
I took the muffler off and ran carb cleaner through it. Couldn't pull the spark arrestor off but hit it with cleaner and compressed air. It seemed to bre clear.

I'll check the carb mounting bolts.

Old 05-30-08, 07:13 PM
I had the same thing happen with mine.....and the factory said 2 years was the most use it would stand...and was in need of replacement.....so basically, its was crap...compression seemed to be the issue.....sais I was lucky to get two years!